Aging in kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I have not aged a beer before, and am working on a bourbon barrel porter style beer. I am wandering if it is ok for me to transfer from the primary into a keg, and put it in the keezer to age for a few more weeks, after I add the bourbon to it. I have been soaking oak chips in bourbon while the beer was fermenting, and now that fermentation is complete, I know I need to mix the two together. Is there anything that I need to do other than put it in the keg and put it in the keezer? Should I purge the air from it with co2 or not?

Purge it with CO2 and then it should be good. Assuming you're planning on removing the oak chips, I've heard a sterilized bag tied to one of the posts with some sterilized unflavored floss will still allow you to seal the lid but make it easy to remove the chips when it reaches the oak level you want.

Thanks guys. I was thinking that I need to purge it like usual, but wasn't 100% sure. I don't plan on adding the chips to it, I think it will have the flavor I'm looking for without he chips being in there.

Think of aging beer (or maturing, my favored term) as a biochemical process. Temperature is a factor. Cooling the beer may slow or even stop the process. I'd keg it, purge the keg with CO2, and let it set in a warm location to mature. JMHO

Back