aging / carbonating temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

togodoug

Reaction score
I'm using a one step fermenting and then bottling in about 2 weeks. I'm in 77 to 90 degrees all the time. I use a swam cooler to ferment at about 65 to 70 degrees.
But I am aging / carbonating at 77 to 88 degrees. I'm not satisfied with the taste, kind of pungent sweet. Is the aging temperature a problem and if so, any ideas on how to keep two cases of beer cool but not cold?

Sounds like a bad primary fermentation to me. For proper fermentation you want proper yeast pitching rates, proper temperature, yeast nutrient, oxygen, etc....I wouldn't add the yeast until you get down to 65-70 or whatever you are fermenting at....Fermenting cool and warming it up slowly will get you better results than pitching hot and letting it cool over time.

Sounds like a bad primary fermentation to me. For proper fermentation you want proper yeast pitching rates, proper temperature, yeast nutrient, oxygen, etc....I wouldn't add the yeast until you get down to 65-70 or whatever you are fermenting at....Fermenting cool and warming it up slowly will get you better results than pitching hot and letting it cool over time.

Thanks, I was wondering why add yeast at 80 degrees when you will ferment at 65? Any thoughts on aging / carbonating, then storing at 80 degrees of above?

I think you need to cool it down. I ferment and condition at what I call room temperature. Around 65 to 72 degrees. I'd really hate to go above 75....

NRS

Back