Aging beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

One of the guys I brew with bought a keg system recently and we're reading into what the differences between bottling and kegging are. One of the advantages to kegging is that it carbs more quickly.

However, some beers have maturation periods where they age for a while. Big beers like Barley Wines, Imperial Stouts and the like. While bottling you can do this in the fermenter (perferably in a secondary off the cake) or in the bottles, but with kegging can you age the beer in the keg? If so, do you age it carbed at serving temperature?

Bulk aging in the keg is, IMO, one of the best features of kegging. I usually just transfer from the fermentor to the keg and let it age at basement temps as long as needed (weeks, months, years, whatever), then carb it up when I finally put it on tap.

Agree that this is definitely a plus to kegging. I'd add, though, that you should hook your keg up to the CO2 immediately after filling and clear the headspace prior to aging to prevent oxidation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Agree that this is definitely a plus to kegging. I'd add, though, that you should hook your keg up to the CO2 immediately after filling and clear the headspace prior to aging to prevent oxidation.

Agreed. Purge the O2 and replace it with CO2 once the keg has been filled. Some folks will flush the keg with CO2 prior to filling, but I've never bothered with that.

I'm a newbie but have made several successful extract kits and have Edwort's pale ale in the fermentation chamber now. My first all grain batch. Was wondering if temperature control was as important after kegging as it is during fermentation. I'm short on space in a mini fridge kegerator and would like to age in the keg. The problem is the temperature in my apartment varies during the day and I'm worried that too high a temperature will affect the beer. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Temp control is much more important during fermentation than it is during aging/storage. Generally speaking, colder is better than warmer when storing, but you're fine leaving your finished beer in a keg at room temp if you need the space in your chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks. That's what I was thinking but didn't want to bet a five gallon batch on it until I asked.

Neat trick. Use your keg as a "secondary" but after evacuating O2, put 50psi of CO2 on the head. Bulk age at cellar temps for as long as you like and then move to your serving fridge. Once the beer is down to serving temps you'll already be half- to full-carbonated, depending on style.

P

Thanks for the input. My worry however is not being to maintain the low temperatures a basement or cellar would provide. Would a temperature of seventy or seventy five degrees have an adverse effect on a finished beer in the keg?

Back