Fruit Beer Agent Orange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
----
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
~30
Color
----
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 65 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
We\\'ll see in a month!
This is something I'm brewing today. It's based off of Blacklab and EdWort's versions. We'll see how it turns out!

FERMENTABLES
4 lbs. Extra Light DME
.5 lb. crystal 10
2 lbs. vienna malt

HOPS + EXTRAS
.5 oz. cascade @ 60 min.
1 oz. cascade @ 20 min.
.8 oz orange zest (or one regular size orange) in 1 oz. vodka @ 5 min.

Mash grains 45 min. @ 148-150 degrees
Boil 60 min.

I did an agent orange IPA a couple years ago. A couple actually. I was foolishly trying to get a bright orange color with a bitter hopped beer. It wasn't very good. Playing up the orange flavor sounds like a better idea and your recipe looks tasty. GL with it.

Bottled this today. FG came out to 1.006, making the ABV 5.1%.

I would have thought the orange zest would come through more, but it's just present enough to compliment the cascade hops. The two work VERY well together. I think the orange flavor will come through more once it becomes carbonated. There's a slight bitterness that goes just over balanced.

I made this for my girlfriend, and she was pretty pumped on it.

Has a hefeweizeny taste to it with a nice, smooth bitterness.

No orange flavor whatsoever. I'm a lil bumbed about it, but it's still a good beer so you won't hear me complain.

I was thinking about doing this one in a couple of weeks.
Do you think it would help to do the fresh orange zest, but also add some dried?
Would sweet or bitter zest be better?

I was struggling with the same questions when brewing this. For starters, I would use at least double the zest I used the 1st time around. It's been in the bottle a month, and there is zero orange flavor. It is still being enjoyed with friends, but not what I was going for.

I only have experience using orange bitters in a hefeweizen, and since this tastes similar, I would suggest those. At the same time, to get the original flavor I wanted, I would like to try some to go with the orange zest. The amount? No idea. Please let me know what route you choose, and how it tastes. I'd love to know!

I think the op might have used the orange peel in a tincture. Its common to put the orange zest straight in the boil for the last 15 min. I'd use the sweet stuff.

Latest posts

Back