Aged quite by accident. Can it be saved?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironduke

Reaction score
A couple of months ago (or three) I brewed up a batch of beer and put it in the closet to ferment. I forgot about it for several weeks. Then I thought about just pouring it out and starting over, but I figured I might as well ask about if it could be saved. Fast forward to today, and I am finally asking.

The beer has been in a cool dark place and the air lock isn't dry. It isn't moldy or anything. It just looks like beer that needs secondary fermentation.

It is an Apricot Wheat beer from Brewmaster's

What do yall think. I figure if I have to pour it out, I'm not out much since I ruined it weeks ago when I forgot it. If it can be saved, that would be cool--kinda like getting over on the man!

Its probably in better shape for having sat a bit. Do a short secondary if you want then bottle. By forgetting about it you got around the new brewers biggest problem......patience!

I'd taste it to be sure, but it all sounds fine. I wouldn't bother with a secondary

That is a little long for a wheat beer which are best consumed comparatively quickly, but I bet is it good. Give it a taste while remembering that beers often taste a lot better when fully carbonated. I also would skip any secondary, at this point it wouldn't accomplish much. And as always stated wheat beers aren't supposed to be totally clear.

I doubt the trub did anything to it,since it settles under the yeast layer. After only 3 months,i don't think the yeast will be a problem. Just package it now.

Definitely an aged beer. Taste it to make sure it's good, and take a gravity sample, for the record.

If you're bottling it, you may need to rouse the existing yeast, if it's still viable, or add some fresh or it won't carbonate or very, very slowly. And wheat beers do taste better with relatively high carbonation.

Definitely an aged beer. Taste it to make sure it's good, and take a gravity sample, for the record.

If you're bottling it, you may need to rouse the existing yeast, if it's still viable, or add some fresh or it won't carbonate or very, very slowly. And wheat beers do taste better with relatively high carbonation.

So far the advice sounds great to me. It would be cool if the beer still tastes good. How do i rouse the yeast? What does that mean?

Swirl the fermenter lightly to stir up a little bit of yeast. but not the whole yeast/trub cake.Just some of the yeast.

Should not have to rouse the yeast after only 3 months but if you do be careful not to stir it up much like unionrdr says just a little swirl. I bottled my German Alt after 3 months (life got in the way) and after 3 weeks in the bottle it tastes great and is my clearest beer yet. I did not rouse or add yeast.

Should not have to rouse the yeast after only 3 months but if you do be careful not to stir it up much like unionrdr says just a little swirl. I bottled my German Alt after 3 months (life got in the way) and after 3 weeks in the bottle it tastes great and is my clearest beer yet. I did not rouse or add yeast.

Yeah, good points made there.
And it must be pretty clear at least for a wheat beer. You don't want it to get all cloudy again.

Most likely when you're racking to the bottling bucket some extra yeast will transfer too, I always get some before I can pull the siphon up. The bottom layer of beer also may contain more yeast cells than the top. If not sure you could scoop a little yeast (a teaspoon's worth?) out of the fermentor and add it to the bucket.

Then stir your bottling bucket slowly and carefully to mix your priming sugar well and distribute the yeast at the same time, without aerating the beer.

Let us know how it tastes. Curious.

I had some Pale Ale "unintentionally conditioning" for 6 months in a secondary, and the air lock had dried up in that time. It came out a little funky and slightly sour, and was definitely out of style, but very drinkable for what it was.

Back