Age to buy kit in Illinois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sfnj2wt

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering what the age restriction to buy a beginners kit in Illinois is. I know in some states it is 18, like Colorado (just the kit, not the actual alc). Also, what kit do you recommend for a complete beginner. I know there are multiple kits out there, but what kit is the best for the price and is the most simple. I am looking for something out there that's a bit on the lite side. I don't mind if it has a high alcohol percentage, but I just want to decrease as much calories and carbs as possible; not quite a huge fan of malty-darks. Of course, with more alcohol comes more empty calories.

Thank you.

PS: I have seen quite a few kits out there from the 40-100 dollar range. I've read a little bit on this, and apparently 5 gallons is an ideal kit. Any decent 5 gallon lite kits that, easy to make, are rather cheap?

Pretty sure my LHBS has a sign saying 21 but websites Ive ordered from never ask for a birth date. You can look for a blonde ale kit that should be closest to what you want I'm guessing.

Pretty sure my LHBS has a sign saying 21 but websites Ive ordered from never ask for a birth date. You can look for a blonde ale kit that should be closest to what you want I'm guessing.

Alright thanks I will look into it. Plus I actaully am willing to spend more than $100, but since its my first time it is probably to go cheap at first

Plus a couple of friends and I will be doing it together, which is why I was thinking 5 gallons.

And by more than 100 dollars I meant on everything including the equipment.
I am so new on this sorry, but does the kit come with the necessary equipment?

Actually I looked into it for a tad bit, and most of them said that they don't come with grain bags or yeast. Do you have a recommended website that does come with it, or anything specific gain bags to buy, etc.,?

Alcohol and empty calories is what I live for! :tank:
Why worry about an age limit? Just order one on line, they aren't going to ask you.
If you are under 18 though, you need to give the finished beer to your parents, maybe they'll lay some back and pull it out on your 21st birthday.
If that is your plan, I would brew a high ABV stout or something similar, they age better.

Alcohol and empty calories is what I live for! :tank:
Why worry about an age limit? Just order one on line, they aren't going to ask you.
If you are under 18 though, you need to give the finished beer to your parents, maybe they'll lay some back and pull it out on your 21st birthday.
If that is your plan, I would brew a high ABV stout or something similar, they age better.

All right I will think about that, thanks. My stove is broken so do you know of a good, cheap way to heat it?

For the money I would recommend this kit.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brew-share-enjoy-homebrew-starter-kit

Northern brewer doesnt care what age you as long as you can pay. the only thing you will need to buy is a hydrometer and test tube, and a wort chiller(you dont have to have this, but Ice baths take forever)

Thanks, that looks like a pretty good kit. I looked in what it includes and it has pretty much everything other than what you said. What is the thing that heats up the beer though? I read you can use your stove but I don't have a working one, so what would that be called?

I've never had amber ale before, it is kind of light though?

For the money I would recommend this kit.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brew-share-enjoy-homebrew-starter-kit

Northern brewer doesnt care what age you as long as you can pay. the only thing you will need to buy is a hydrometer and test tube, and a wort chiller(you dont have to have this, but Ice baths take forever)

+1

This was my first kit and I'm now on batch 13. It has everything you need except, as mentioned, a hydrometer kit. A wort chiller is optional when you start out but you NEED a hydrometer.

Thanks, that looks like a pretty good kit. I looked in what it includes and it has pretty much everything other than what you said. What is the thing that heats up the beer though? I read you can use your stove but I don't have a working one, so what would that be called?

I've never had amber ale before, it is kind of light though?

I would recommend starting out heating with your stove top since the directions are for a partial boil (scratch that...just read you don't have one). Most home brewers either use propane burners or electric heating elements.

The recipe is a very lightly malted amber ale (it's 6 lbs of Amber LME if I remember correctly, that's it for the malt base). It actually kinda reminded me of a New Castle once it aged a bit. But it's hard to screw it up and because you brewed it yourself it will taste amazing. :ban:

All right I will think about that, thanks. My stove is broken so do you know of a good, cheap way to heat it?

Ehhhh a lot of us go for a propane burner and a good, cheaper one is the $55 Darkstar from Northern Brewer. Get a propane tank and you're set. Like $75-80 total, so not incredibly cheap, but if you have no electric/gas stove, this is about your only option.

I would recommend starting out heating with you stove top since the directions are for a partial boil. Most home brewers either use propane burners or electric heating elements but you don't need to upgrade yet.

The recipe is a very lightly malted amber ale (it's 6 lbs of Amber LME if I remember correctly, that's it for the malt base). It actually kinda reminded me of a New Castle once it aged a bit. But it's hard to screw it up and because you brewed it yourself it will taste amazing. :ban:

Yeah, I really enjoyed that amber kit lol. They finally just recently added it to their regular inventory as a kit.

Beer brewing on the cheap prerequisites:

Working stove

</list>

You need water too. Do you have a working faucet?

Hello,

I was wondering what the age restriction to buy a beginners kit in Illinois is. I know in some states it is 18, like Colorado (just the kit, not the actual alc). Also, what kit do you recommend for a complete beginner. I know there are multiple kits out there, but what kit is the best for the price and is the most simple. I am looking for something out there that's a bit on the lite side. I don't mind if it has a high alcohol percentage, but I just want to decrease as much calories and carbs as possible; not quite a huge fan of malty-darks. Of course, with more alcohol comes more empty calories.

Thank you.

PS: I have seen quite a few kits out there from the 40-100 dollar range. I've read a little bit on this, and apparently 5 gallons is an ideal kit. Any decent 5 gallon lite kits that, easy to make, are rather cheap?

How old are you?

Me and my buddies want to try to make some beer down in the woods since we are underage and can't get anyone to buy it for us. ;)

A cheap Turket fryer burner would be the cheapest route to go. However, You are going to run into issues brewing in the woods. You will need a goo clean source of water, and you have to be able to sanitize everything. No point in making beer that is infected with god knows what

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back