Age in carboy or bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerHappy

Reaction score
Ok, so I recently switched to not racking my beer to secondary so I reduce oxidation and chance of contamination. My question is I do an Imperial Stout that I usually let sit in secondary for a few months and then bottle. Would it be better to bottle and then age it in the bottles or rack it to secondary like I used to do and then bottle it?

I left a porter in primary for over 2 months and didn't have any issues. Actually won the Porter division, at a recent competition, with it.
Give it a try, see what happens.
If it goes wrong, you will have an excuse to brew more beer.

For a month or two leaving it in primary should present no problems. For a few months I would either age in the bottles or do the secondary. I am not sure it makes any difference.

Bottle aging is a little easier since you don't have to worry about the airlock going dry etc. Just try not to drink them all.

I kept mine in primary for a month then added oak for about a week. I bottled, then waited a few weeks before trying one. I have finished about half of the bottles at just over a year. I think they are still improving. I hope I don't finish them off before they peak.

Nice, Thank you guys for the help. I may let it sit in there another month or two, add some chocolate and bottle.

Back