Agave wine issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_gamer

Reaction score
I got a problem. I am attempting an Agave wine. It's a pain right now, it won't ferment. I think the problem is that the gravity is too high, forgot the exact number but its way up there, and I only pitched single packets. I have already pitched two champaign yeast packets, about two weeks apart. One I rehydrated and the other one I didn't. I'm thinking of making a starter, but I don't know how to make a wine starter.

I don't think that the wine is bad yet, I am very good with sanitation and when I took a hydrometer reading I tasted it, still tastes great. Also this is a single gallon batch.

Yes but not since I checked, and it hardly fermented at all. Tastes like sugar water...sweet sweet sugar water.

I may end up doing that, I was hoping to ferment the single gallon but I guess I can do two carboys about 3/4 full and repitch into each.

champagne yeast usually doesnt have a problem with high gravity, not knowing your starting gravity could be a problem though....

Check the Agave syrup bottle for ingredients? Like "to retard spoilage" ?

I've brewed several batches of Prickly Pear Wine, from my own fruit. No problem with fermentation.

The one I got was organic and didn't have anything in it that I recognized as a preservative.

So what do you yall think
A.) Yeast starter
Or
B.) Split into two batches, diluting the batch to lower the gravity. And then simply repitching

Split, but swirl around so all the sleeping yeast are completely mixed into the solution, then dilute. Fix the airlocks, wait 24 hours and if there's no sign of fermentation, pitch more yeast. If you're using one packet of yeast, I would mix the entire thing in an amount of water that you can measure and split equally. Doing this is more accurate than sprinkling a packet into two separate carboys and hoping you got it about equal.

Also, about the agave syrup, what colour was it?

That sounds like a plan, its a a dark brown, like dark honey.

Oh good. I was going to be a get a bit worried for your tastebuds if it was light coloured, as they would probably be disappointed. Light agave syrup is little more than sugar.

man 1.160 is over 20% alcohol is that your starting sg??? if it ferments dry that is going to taste like jet fuel but if thats what your going for then cheers...I think most champagne yeast max out at 18% I guess its possible for 20%....

Honda88 said:
man 1.160 is over 20% alcohol is that your starting sg??? if it ferments dry that is going to taste like jet fuel but if thats what your going for then cheers...I think most champagne yeast max out at 18% I guess its possible for 20%....

Well I have pitched two packets of yeast and after two weeks of stopped activity this is what it is at. I had a very vigorous fermentation already.

I guess this weekend I will dilute and if needed repitch

Also I am not afraid of it tasting like jet fuel, aka being dry. I was planning on making magaritas. Not planning on drinking it straight.

don't repitch once the yeast is in there it can multiply to fill its environment. It is no wonder it took so long to get going. having to much sugar is just as bad for yeast as to high an alcohol percent or not enough nutrient. It is a sure fire way to stick a fermentation, or in your case keep it from ever starting.

Back