AG Boil and Hot Break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I searched and read a few threads on people who skim or don't skim the hot break, but I want able to find a consensus here. I have read in several places that a rigorous boil is the most desirable, which typically leads to a huge hot break.

So what, if any, is the function of the hot break when it dissolves back into the hot wort?

As far as my technique? I usually stir it like crazy to avoid a boil over, but do not skim it off.

Additionally, I have also read that it is possible to scorch the wort, but is this from too rapid heating, or too great a temperature gradient?

Thanks

I don't skim hot break. Much of it apparently sticks to the sides of my kettle, judging by that ring, and there is plenty in the wort during the boil. If you don't know what it looks like, "egg drop soup" is what it reminds me of. I always get a great hot break, and start my hopping after the hot break. A rolling boil helps to get this good hot break, which really is the proteins dropping out of suspension. If you've ever made spaghetti or mash potatoes, and you get the starchy white boil over, it's the same exact thing. Heat + proteins.

When it dissolves back into the wort, it stays in those globs of egg drop soup-like stuff. I use whirlfloc in the kettle, and that helps cold break precipitate out by coagulating, so there is a big goober of proteins settled out after the wort chills! That's good, though, as it leads to clearer beer since the excess proteins have fallen out of the wort and are no longer suspended in the wort.

As far as scorching, it's never happened to me, as the rolling boil seems to really "stir" the wort, but if you had a wort that was thick with sugars and a super high flame, that could happen I guess. I think it would be more likely to happen to an extract batch when the extract isn't stirred in to the liquid well, and it would fall to the bottom of the pot and burn.

Latest posts

Back