AG American Porter Recipe - Critiques Welcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NothingRhymesWithCurtiss

Reaction score
I based the recipe below on an extract kit that I brewed last year. While I really enjoyed it, I wanted a little bit more roast flavor and thicker mouthfeel. For this reason I added some Roasted Barley and Flaked Oats, and am mashing a few degrees higher than I normally would.

5 Gallons
OG Est 1.056
FG Est 1.014
33 IBUS

● 8.5lb 2 Row
● 1lb Crystal 60l
● 0.50lb Chocolate Malt
● 0.50lb Roasted Barley
● 0.50lb Flaked Oats
Mash @ 154° F

● 0.75oz Nugget (12aa) @ 60
● 1oz Cascade (6aa) @ Flameout Out - Steep while chilling wort

Rehydrated Nottingham @ 60° F for 10 Days
Bottle condition 3+ weeks @ 65° F

Do the quantities of Chocolate, Roasted Barley and Flaked Oats look okay? I'm looking for a balance of coffee/roast flavor and bittersweet chocolate, with the fruitiness from the hops.

I've never used Nottingham before. I bought it on accident and it's been sitting in my fridge for a few months. From what I read, it's pretty clean, but not as clean as US-05, which I think will be okay to use in a Porter? Any thoughts?

Nottingham can attenuate a bit more than US05 in my experience, and end up drier. That might work against your "thicker mouthfeel". Another thing I'd consider is to use some brown malt. Comes across fairly dextrinous and has a mellow, thick, background roast.

Nottingham can attenuate a bit more than US05 in my experience, and end up drier. That might work against your "thicker mouthfeel". Another thing I'd consider is to use some brown malt. Comes across fairly dextrinous and has a mellow, thick, background roast.

Thanks for the input.

Do you think that adding some brown malt would help offset the Nottingham being drier? Or should I just stick with a pack of US-05?

Maybe replace a pound of pale for a pound of brown and reduce the roast barley to 1/4lb. Should taste good and if it's on the dry side that just makes it more quaffable!

Latest posts

Back