AG Advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runyanka

Reaction score
I am contiplating on AG brewing, I am on extract right now. I have just a couple of questions that no matter where I look I seem to get different answers to. Here goes.... lets say you have 8.5lbs of grain, that means you will need 1.5q of water for every pound of grain. When you sparge, you need 2q of water per pound of grain. My question is this. So you pour in your striking water, and let it do its thing for around 60 min. Here is where my question lies... do you guys do a mash out? If so how much water do you use? do you subtract from your mash water or your sparging water?
Thanks guys :rockin:

I quit doing a mash out long ago. But when I did, what I would do is calculate your TOTAL sparge volume say you needed 8 gallons for sparge water. I would then figure how much water I needed to get my 2" volume above the grain bed for fly sparging. I would heat THAT amount of H2O (say 2 gallons) to just below boiling I would then monitor my temp of my mash while stirring in my 2 gallons of 200* water once my mash hit 165-170 I would stop adding water. And let it sit for about 5 min and start my resirculation.

Or you can use steam or direct fire the MT to raise the temp.
Good luck
JJ

Read Bobby_M's all grain primer. Find one of his posts and it's in his signature.

Read Bobby_M's all grain primer. Find one of his posts and it's in his signature.

Seconded.

His primer is the method I have settled on. Good efficiency and super simple. No mash out. Simple batch sparge.

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. I've never had an efficiency concern with his method, always end up a bit over the efficiency expected in most recipes.

I think I found it... here:

All Grain

Thanks!!! After reading this I think I will be putting a propane burner and a larger boiling pot (kettle) on my B-Day list. I already have a 4 gallon stainless steel that I figure I can use for my sparge water (which I will be doing a batch sparge). What size would you recoment for boiling my wort in? sould I go to 8 gallon? Anyways, thanks for the help you guys. Its great to see i can still use all my previous equipment just add a little more. :rockin:

Back