after moving beer to secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartbinga

Reaction score
I moved my beer into the secondary fermenter it has been 3 days and it does not seem to be doing anything....it is clearing up but noting else. I cannot even see any bubbles coming to the top of the carboy....is this normal??

thanks!!

Have you taken a gravity reading? That's the only way to really know. And yes, sounds perfectly normal...not much happens visually after the first few days of active fermentation.

Why did you rack it to secondary?

Secondary fermentation is becoming a thing of the past now. The only time you really need to do it is when you are adding something to the beer during or after fermentation like dry hopping, adding fruit or wood chips, etc.

Leaving the beer on the yeast cake will let the yeast clean up after themselves. Typically you should leave it in primary for 10 to 14 days. Longer will not hurt.

Since you racked the beer off the yeast, you will not see much happen in the carboy. That is perfectly normal

yes I did when I moved it to the secondary the reading was 1.042.
This is my first batch of beer I have made wine before and it seems to be more active than beer...I will keep my eye on it. should I take a sample and check the SP at about the 10 day mark to see if it changes??

My gosh.. what are you brewing..? Most of my beers START at 42. What is the type of beer and what kind of yeast and what is the temp of the beer?

With a gravity of 1.042 you should have left it in the primary. It wasn't finished with initial fermentation.. What was your original gravity, by the way?

I was just following the directions on the kit that I got and this was the process. I see now that there are a lot of different ways to do it. I will be trying different ways in the future.

Sounds like it is finished.. no need to move to secondary. But because it is in secondary.. I'd leave it there for a week or three.. rack to bottling bucket and bottle. So, what kind of beer is it?

Also, there are a lot of threads that answer the dilemma about kit instructions. Forget anything about timing in the FV with instructions.. your hydrometer is your friend. Wait until the SG reading is the same for about three days.. then it is almost certainly finished converting MOST sugars to alcohol. Then leave it in the FV for another week or three to convert the more difficult sugars. Just a thought.

Should it keep dropping?? and if it has I should continue to wait untill it stops??

If you get the same reading 3 days in a row you can bottle. If it drops again then let it stay for another few days and check again.

Thanks for all the help I can see that I am going to have alot of fun doing this and will be using this fourm to help guide me into becoming a good beer maker

Back