After mash grain usage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuenro02

Reaction score
After your done with your mashing, is there anything to you can do with the grain or are they just spent? They smell sooo good I wish I could make something out of them.

Bread, Dog treats, compost, or a heavy trash can.

They are also good at making your backyard smell if you leave them in the sun for a few days.

i do agree, they smell awsome. if you do a quick search you can find recipes for dog treats (which my dog loves!), or sometimes i will mix some up with her food (only right after I brew), or some recipes for bread as well. I'm sure there are more but those are the first to come to my mind. Welcome to the forum as well:D

i do agree, they smell awsome. if you do a quick search you can find recipes for dog treats (which my dog loves!), or sometimes i will mix some up with her food (only right after I brew), or some recipes for bread as well. I'm sure there are more but those are the first to come to my mind. Welcome to the forum as well:D

Smell Awesome, not after a few days of natural fermentation in the hot sun in summer, baby diapers comes to mind :)

I usually freeze a zip lock bag full after brewing and use them to make dog treats when time allows.

I've made a bunch of bread and dog treats, but those only use a tiny fraction of the amount of grain I use for every batch. The rest, or all of it, is given to a couple of guys at work who have chickens and pigs. It makes a great feed. They are always willing to take free feed, especially if you are just going to throw it out.

One of guy said that his chickens gobbled it right up. I told him that I was sorry my grain turned his chickens into turkeys. It took a while for him to understand it ("gobbled" it up). Yeah, its corny.

I've been giving mine to a friend who has chickens. Now that I know you can make dog treats I will be trying this! I don't have a dog of my own, but I do service work in homes and I could use a few treats for the un friendly ones. :)

Same here: bread, pig food, chicken food. And since I brew 25g batches, I have a lot of grain. The temptation to leave it in the waste barrel was overwhelming, but just the first time. Man, rotten grain is some nasty stuff.

Into the trash they go. From April to November I can put them in my yard waste garbage pickup. From December to March I toss them in the regular garbage. I can't see making 50# of bread or dog treats a month.

50# of dog treats = new revenue stream for brewing supplies... Find a local pet store / vet that is willing to carry them...

Duckfoot said:
50# of dog treats = new revenue stream for brewing supplies... Find a local pet store / vet that is willing to carry them...

I like that! That's a great idea. Money to brew with.

If you ever tour a craft brewry a lot of them give the grain to cattel ranchers or anyone with livestock that comes and gets it. If I know I am going to see my dad I will throw mine in a bucket in the frig and he feeds it to his cows. It is very good for livestock but they can get to much. Wish I wasn't so lazy or I would throw mine where deer could eat in peace form my dogs

The local brewery here gives it to a local pig farmer... I am hoping they cash in on that with a dry-porked, bacon smoked beer...

Careful with the dog treats. Hops and dogs don't mix. If use hops in your mash, don't use the grain for treats.

Latest posts

Back