After Diacetyl rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerHappy

Reaction score
Ok, I have been making my Oktoberfest for many years and a question just came to me. After my Diacetyl rest when I put the fermenter back in the fridge to cool it back down how do I prevent it from sucking air back thru the airlock due to the drop in temp leading to lower pressure in the fermenter?

What kind of fermenter do you have?

Old school 6 1/2 gallon glass fermenter, rubber stopper and p-trap style air lock

Old school 6 1/2 gallon glass fermenter, rubber stopper and p-trap style air lock

Okay. The only thing I can think in that case is the Balloon full of CO2 trick. I haven't done that myself, but if you search "balloon" on the forum, there are several threads about it. I think there's even a company making a version of it (rather than DIY).

i have cold crashed beers in my 6.5G carboy for a long time. I wrap a wire around the neck with loops on it and then strap down a solid bung with rubber bands to make sure it stays put. when you go to rack you get some air suck back but it doesnt seem to cause any issues since you are racking it right away. a CO2 balloon is preferable if you have space. make sure it is not oxygen permeable material.

Do you keg? Rack to keg at the end of d-rest, put it under pressure, and slowly drop it that way.

He could do that, but then the crashed sediment would be in the keg, instead of the fermenter.

Back