Affordable electric controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know what's available in the UK, but those controller prices don't seem out of line with what's available in the USA. Decent, pre-built controllers just seem way more expensive than they should be (but they are not really, given the cost of components and labor, and the fact that they are low volume items.)

Brew on :mug:

If you want to have a propane burner analog, use a SSVR - Solid State Voltage Regulator. It has a knob control and you turn it up and down to adjust the heat, much the same as you control the flame on a burner.

An SSVR will not work with a probe or PID, it is you riding the knob that determines the heating element power output. Not as cool as a wiz bang automated temp control system. But if you want inexpensive, it is the bang for the quid.

You could build one, are you mechanically/electrically inclined? I built my controller myself, and it was a rewarding learning experience that saved me a boatload of cash.

I BIAB brew on my Kenmore glass top electric range. Got it at an estate sale for $40. The glass top holds the heat and the mash stays very stable for and hour.

You could build one, are you mechanically/electrically inclined? I built my controller myself, and it was a rewarding learning experience that saved me a boatload of cash.
I do, I studied electronics engineering :), however I would like to avoid at least component-level and PCB design and that stuff. However I am more than happy to wire and put parts together. I have seen these controllers although not sure if they are suitable for a 3300W heating element or I am missing something. Power wise seems they would be good. What I don't understand is why the commercial solutions are so crazy expensive if there are this cheaper solutions out there :).
Inkbird PID Temperature Controller Thermostat ITC-100VH K Thermocouple 40DA SSR Solid State Relay Black Heat Sink for Heater Cooler : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

What is your solution? :)

I BIAB brew on my Kenmore glass top electric range. Got it at an estate sale for $40. The glass top holds the heat and the mash stays very stable for and hour.
I don't have a suitable glass top unfortunately :( I usually brew in the garden :)

Given your willingness to wire, you can definitely do this for not much money -- no circuit or PCB design work required.
schematic.jpg

For boil control I use the attached simple PWM circuit I found on the Internet years ago. No PCB -- just wired together on perf board. I had to add a capacitor across the power input because of ripple in the cheap cell phone charger that provides ~12VDC. Edit: it looks like the SSVR idea from @RufusBrewer could be simpler and cheaper!

For temp control during recirculation, I put an Auber Instruments PID in an enclosure.

Best of luck with your upgrade.

Last edited:
I do, I studied electronics engineering :), however I would like to avoid at least component-level and PCB design and that stuff. However I am more than happy to wire and put parts together. I have seen these controllers although not sure if they are suitable for a 3300W heating element or I am missing something. Power wise seems they would be good. What I don't understand is why the commercial solutions are so crazy expensive if there are this cheaper solutions out there :).
Inkbird PID Temperature Controller Thermostat ITC-100VH K Thermocouple 40DA SSR Solid State Relay Black Heat Sink for Heater Cooler : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

What is your solution? :)
The linked item is not a plug-n-play solution. It requires an enclosure, some switches (even more switches if you want to control a pump), hopefully a contactor, and should have some indicator lights. Also requires labor to assemble. If you are buying a plug-n-play box from someone, you are paying for labor, business overhead, profit margin, etc. in addition to the component cost.

Brew on :mug:

Inkbird seems to have a very good quality & features Vs cost ratio.

I would consider the Auber Instrument solution. It is going to run you more. Of course much of your choice depends on your disposable income and dedication to the hobby.

Any solution is going to require cutting and drilling holes and camping connectors and cutting + stripping wires. Plus resourcing parts. It adds up quickly and you learn the turnkey products are not so bad a deal.

For Auber, I do not know about shipping and import duty into Old Blighty. If you have a friend in the states, you can arrange for them to send you a birthday present.

Back