Aerator stone question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure that I would. How would you sanitize it? I would try to use a metal one so you can boil it.

I currently have a stainless steel diffusion stone. Nothing's happened to it yet, I'm just looking for a cheaper alternative once this one does kick the bucket.

I'm confused, why would your stone kick the bucket? I've had my .5 micron stone for about 5 years so far with no issues. I rinse it well after user, soak in starsan before and after use, boil it every so often, and store it in a ziplock freezer bag... no problems.

I've just read posts where stones become old and clogged and eventually stop working. Just thinking of alternatives on the off chance this happens, and at 5 bucks for 3 stones, it's not a bad deal. Just curious if anybody has tried it.

I haven't had a problem with my aeration stone, I also use it as a carbonation stone in the keg as well. I just don't touch it. It gets stored in a white labs tube filled with vodka. After I use it I dip it in star San and use co2 to push it all out of the stone. Then store it in the vodka again. If you have to handle it put a paper towel or Saran wrap around it.

My stone had a reduced flow rate so I boiled it. I had a hose connected while it was boiling and tried to suck on the hose and got very little to pass through. After 20 minutes, I saw stuff floating and tried again. Huge improvement. After boiling I dropped it in a bucket o' StarSan until brew day.

Back