Aeration ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCB

Reaction score
What's the highest abv anyone has sucessfully brewed without an oxygen tank? What type of yeast and what aeration techniques was used? I want to make another barleywine. I made the last one ~8.5% in fear or making something my yeast couldnt handle.

14.5% ABV

No aeration- pitched on WLP 099 yeast cake from a Belgian Pale that I brewed specifically to make yeast.

if i were to brew a 1.055ish stout with Wyeast 1056 and use that yeast cake for a 1.110 barleywine do you think Id get good results? I'm also thinking about adding champaigne yeast to 2ndary.

if i were to brew a 1.055ish stout with Wyeast 1056 and use that yeast cake for a 1.110 barleywine do you think Id get good results? I'm also thinking about adding champaigne yeast to 2ndary.

yes, I'd guess you'd finish a lil over 1.02 (unless it's loaded with specialty malts) with the 1056 alone. my S-05 one finished at 1.021 from 1.113

~12.8% ABV using the Wyeast Gulden Draak yeast (can't remember #, it was a PC strain a little over a year ago). I made a Belgian Pale Ale (with starter) and used the cake for the big beer. I added the suger in the fermenter. OG was 1.100 and FG was 1.004. This was the 10/10/10 brew.

I got over 10% but I can't honestly say that I even shook my fermenter. It was my last extract batch, and I probably only aerated by dropping the wort through a strainer as it came out of the CFC.

Back