Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
How do I aerate the wort? Is it okay to just shake the crap out of the carboy for a few minutes before pitching the yeast (I do this with meads and it works great but this is my first beer)?

How do I aerate the wort? Is it okay to just shake the crap out of the carboy for a few minutes before pitching the yeast (I do this with meads and it works great but this is my first beer)?
yes. but if it has a high OG you might want to consider an airstone

Pouring into the primary from a height (I do about 3.5-4 feet) is also a nice way to get some more oxygen in there. Shaking it like it owes you money, though, is the old reliable. ;)

On top of shaking the carboy/bucket, I pour from an elevated position, strain my wort as it goes into the carboy/bucket and give it a good whisking with a large sanitized spoon for a few minutes.

We have a spray nozzle and hose attached to our sink. I use that to top up the water in the fermenter just before adding yeast. It seems to do the trick.

John

Thanks again guys helpful as usual. I think I'll just give it a shake, my target OG is only 1.045 (more like a session bitter).

There's a thesis that someone on here wrote that concluded shaking vigorously for 20 minutes is more effective than an aeration stone. Some go overboard with the topic, but IMHO, there are many other things to be much more concerned about (like fermentation temperature, pitching rate, etc.). Unless you're doing a really big beer, you shouldn't stress over it.

Back