Aeration when racking to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytee

Reaction score
I racked my latest brew yesterday from the primary bucket to a glass carboy for secondary. I had some trouble last batch in getting a good siphon and lost about half a gallon in primary, so I was spending some time making sure the siphon was nice for this batch. Unfortunately, I noticed when I had about 1/4 gallon siphoned, that I was dropping the ale from about 6 inches into the carboy...

Yipes! :(

After that, I got the siphon back down and the remaining flow was nice and calm. I realize I have aerated too much in this process, and probably should have just stopped the siphon and tossed the early bit, but it's too late for that now.

I've read that this will produce an ale that will go stale quickly. Given this probablilty, I could live with it, if the brew has a good chance of tasting good at least initially. I can then just have a big card night/party, invite over lots of friends, and enjoy the brew quickly.

My questions are:

1. How probable is it that this batch will stale quickly?

2. If it is going stale, how long does that take?

3. The batch seems to be doing very well with respect to FG, could that help reduce the staleing?

Thanks.... we live and we learn ;)

I would not over-react to the point where I felt a compulsion to share my brew. It will likely be fine or better, and last plenty long enough for you to drink it with no regrets. Drink it yourself, play cards and serve commercial beer, quietly explaining that you drink the stuff you make because your wife gave you the kit and she would feel bad if you didn't use it. Your guests will nod knowingly and sympathize with you while they sip their MGD.

SteveM said:
I would not over-react to the point where I felt a compulsion to share my brew. It will likely be fine or better, and last plenty long enough for you to drink it with no regrets. Drink it yourself, play cards and serve commercial beer, quietly explaining that you drink the stuff you make because your wife gave you the kit and she would feel bad if you didn't use it. Your guests will nod knowingly and sympathize with you while they sip their MGD.

Good to hear that you think it will likely be OK. I will not be able to keep the beer from the masses though. I was unfortunately successful in my first brewing experience, and now the neighbors are interested in the next experiments. Several have even done a bit of homebrewing themselves. Also, the card game members include a disproportionate number of Irish immigrants, who would be less than totally satisfied with MGD.

I also need to empty the bottles so there will be something around to fill up with the next batch! A happy vicious cycle!

I had a batch that while siphoning to bucket I had the carboy propped up on the table (to keep it at an angle) the dog hit table, the carboy tipped.. bout a half gallon dumped into the bottling bucket (how lucky was that! :rockin: ) stirred it up nicely.. I finished bottling and 3 weeks later was drinking my best batch to date.

I'm gren as they come and have had a mistake or two with my first session and yet at 7 weeks the brew getts better and better. We had 14 inches of snow last night and I shared a glass with a buddy of mine in a booming snow storm, man was that beer great. Very impressive. Nothing like making your own beer. What a fun simple thing, Like Charlie Papazian says don't worry have a home brew. I'll bet your beer in your secondary will be awesome. Just think, millions of guys that have come before us didn't have all this technology and i bet they made some pretty good beers. They just guessed their way and stumbled into good brew.

Latest posts

Back