Aeration stones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Deathweed

Reaction score
I recently bought an aeration system from morebeer.com and wasn’t sure if it was working or not. I know that the pore size is only 2um, but shouldn’t I see at least some bubbles coming off of it? I also filled my hydrometer jar with water, hooked it up and inserted the stone to see if I would observe any bubble build up on the plastic walls but I saw nothing. I did aerate my first batch with it and it seemed to ferment well (in my vast experience of 1) Should I try to return this, or is it producing such fine bubbles that they are being dissolved by the water before they become visable?

I can certainly see the bubbles coming out of my stainless diffusion stone. When I sanitize it I get a really thick foam in the starsan. Have you tried taking the stone off the tubing and putting that into the water? Maybe your pump isn't working properly.

You should see O2 coming from the stone. I have the same system. I have no idea why yours would not do this, did you turn the gas all the way up just to test. Do you have the filter connected properly? Also, don't handle the stone with your hands but instead use a cloth or paper towel. I generally drop my stone into boiling water before each use.

I know that the pump is working, I can feel the air coming off of it when the stone is not connected, and I knew about not touching the stone so I was very carefull about that. So I am guessing it is the stone.... huh... guess I will contact morebeer and see if I can do an exchange! I guess I just got lucky and my wort was aerated enough just transfering it to the fermentation bucket! As my father allways said, dont discount luck, depend on it!

deathweed said:
As my father allways said, dont discount luck, depend on it!

My dad always said I'd rather be lucky than good. I've always said I'd rather be good than lucky. If you're good you can be good every time your luck is subject to change at any time.

abracadabra said:
If you're good you can be good every time your luck is subject to change at any time.

Ahhh, but that’s assuming luck is derived from some supernatural force granting us good fortune in our times of ignorance instead of some innate skill that is yet undiscovered and un-honed by the individual... meh.. whatever, this is a six pack discussion and I’m supposed to be working right now :) philosophy can wait until I get home... Thanks for the help guys, I will look at getting a new stone

deathweed said:
I know that the pump is working, I can feel the air coming off of it when the stone is not connected, and I knew about not touching the stone so I was very carefull about that. So I am guessing it is the stone.... huh... guess I will contact morebeer and see if I can do an exchange! I guess I just got lucky and my wort was aerated enough just transfering it to the fermentation bucket! As my father allways said, dont discount luck, depend on it!

If I were you I would try another pump or run down to Lowes/Homedepot and grab a bottle of O2 and hook it up. The pump you have may be working if there is no resistance but as soon as you hook up the stone it may not have enough ass to push out the air.

John

Thats a good idea, but Ill save my $$ and hook my CO2 tank up to it when I get home tonight. Ive only brewed 1 batch and my wife is already asking how much more ill spend on my new hobby.... Im hoping if I get her drunk on this batch it will losen the purse strings a bit;)

deathweed said:
Im hoping if I get her drunk on this batch it will losen the purse strings a bit;)

my how things change... it used to be outher things that we tried to loosen when we got them drunk! ;)

John

Nwcw2001 said:
my how things change... it used to be outher things that we tried to loosen when we got them drunk! ;)

Haha, i was figguring loosen purse strings first, the rest will follow. Otherwise I might be too tired to remember what the original intent was in the first place. And just a guess here, it will be much harder to convince her to spend money on beer while nursing a hangover the next morning......

Ok, got home and checked with compressed CO2... the stone was fine, my pump dosent have enough umph. either way, i still need to work out some kind of return. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back