aeration question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjramm

Reaction score
If I put a sanitized muslin bag and rubber band on the end of my auto-siphon when moving the wort from the carboy to the bottling bucket to avoid bringing debris, do I risk the muslin bag aerating the brew? I wouldn't think so since it's all submerged, but wanted to check. Thanks!

You'll be ok. Won't be any worse than the normal few seconds of tansfer before the end gets submerged.

Thanks for asking the question for me!
I was wondering this on a similar vein, whether to cut off a small square of muslin and band this around the bottling spigot on the inside of the bucket. My concern is, maybe some of the finer material in the beer is best kept in for maturing flavour? I am unsure.

No worries. I use the same method to transfer beer to keg. i use plastic zip ties instead of rubber band. cheapest filter you can buy.

Thanks guys. Can't wait to bottle my first brew at the end of the weekend. I still have to drink my way to enough bottles first though, so cheers! Stoudts American Pale Ale.

Should be fine - you can't aerate something if there's no air getting in.

Thanks for asking the question for me!
I was wondering this on a similar vein, whether to cut off a small square of muslin and band this around the bottling spigot on the inside of the bucket. My concern is, maybe some of the finer material in the beer is best kept in for maturing flavour? I am unsure.

The less trub, the better... both before fermenting and after. Recent talk on the forum has got me thinking about it, and in the future, I'm going to start doing a settling rest / re-rack the wort cycle before pitching the yeast.
My trub accumulation is significant, and it's true... taste the trub, then taste your wort, and you'll detect that nasty taste. The more you can keep the trub out, the cleaner your beer will taste.
Having said that, to be honest, I haven't had much luck trying to filter the transfer. I have better luck transferring the top after settling.

Latest posts

Back