Aeration of stirplate starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyro701n

Reaction score
does anyone use a system of continuous aeration for thier starters on a stir plate?

i know continuous aeration will increase sterol formation and create healthier yeasts, but the vortex of the stirplate only aerates for so long.... then the co2 expulsion blocks out O2

i have an aquarium pump aeration system, but if i left that in my flask it would just bubble over. and i dont know of an easy timer setup to turn the pump on and of, so here is what im thinking

insert a small valve in between the pump and the hepa filter, restricting the airflow to a point where the flask does not bubble over.
does anyone do this, or something similar? what do yall think? any and all suggestions are welcome
thanks

I use an airstone fed by an O2 cylinder. I just introduce the O2 very gradually so bubbling over is not a problem. I would guess that your idea of a valve should work as well.

-a.

I use a stirplate with an e. flask and alum. foil on top - loosely. That way air can get in but particles are caught by the foil. No aeration needed!

chillHayze said:
I use a stirplate with an e. flask and alum. foil on top - loosely. That way air can get in but particles are caught by the foil. No aeration needed!
Same here. My starters are usually so vigorous that they bubble over in a matter of hours.

There are also special foam corks that let air into the flask, but block the bugs. The constant stirring actually forces enough mixing that the CO2 doesn't block the O2.

but if there is a blanket of co2 ontop of the wort, how is any O2 getting down to the surface to get stirred in? cause the CO2 is heavier than the air

The CO2 would lay down a blanket over the starter if it wasn't being stirred. The continuous stirring also stirs up the gasses, allowing the O2 to reaach the starter.

-a.

for those of you who have made your own stir plates.. can you point me to some tutorials on how to do it?

I have 80mm fans out the wazoo...

do you all leave the stir plate on the whole time?

Latest posts

Back