Aeration methods and required times as explained by Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am new to the aquarium pump and aeration stone method, but have used it in my last two brews. Posters from this forum as well as others seem to recommend using the pump and stone for anywhere from 1/2 to 1 hour before pitching. However, a mycologist at Wyeast recommends a time of only 5 min to get to 8 ppm O2 in this video. Even though 10-15 ppm is probably the norm, I would assume you could get to that amount by doubling the 5 min required to get to 8 (10 min). So why are so many people aerating for so much longer? Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe just to be certain? The marginal increase in cost from 5 min. to 15 min. is much less than the possible risk of a stuck fermentation or bad batch of beer.

For standard gravity ales, about 8 ppm is how much oxygen you get if the wort is saturated with air. So you can't get 10-15 ppm with an aquarium pump period.

I thought white labs had tested the aquarium pump and it took 30 minutes to approach saturation. There must be a difference in their methods. If you are convinced you are using the same method as this wyeast guy, 5 minutes it is.

Back