Aeration method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
Can I use my oil-less compressor to aerate my wort? I would run an inline filter or two just like you would with a aquarium pump and a diffusion stone.
Anyone have experience with this?

Yes however ime using any type of air pump is quite inefficient. The rate determining step is the foaming of the beer from the air stone.

Yep. Even with just an aquarium pump I get a ton of foam after about 20-30 minutes. Compressor would be overkill for sure and those pumps are pretty cheap at Petco. If you're buying the stone anyway I'd get the smaller aquarium pump and skip the compressor or use it to dry out the inside of your plate chiller. :)

It is adjustable on the output side. 0-150psi
I've been getting by for the last couple years with manual aeration so I was just looking for a simple way to aerate with some things I already have. Just an idea I was tossing around in my head

I bought a SS "stone", filter, and aquarium pump some years back for aeration. I've never used it, instead just vigorously rocking the carboy (I use old milk crates for carboy holders).

Suppose I should give the pump a try sometime...or just get an O2 setup.

Even if is adjustable you will have to have set it so low it will then increase the time required for aeration defeating the point. 5 ming shaking verse 45 mins with a pump.

The most cost effect way is a drill and a paint stirer. No effort and in a few minutes its done.

The best is pure O2, I have tried all methods of aeration and O2 is by far the best. 30 secs done. its worth the investment.

It is adjustable on the output side. 0-150psi

No matter the compressor's max pressure, setting the regulator will make no difference either way, as the output will be near zero pressure.

That said, I would worry about contaminants being introduced into the wort. If you were to go this route, install an inline super-fine air filter.

No matter the compressor's max pressure, setting the regulator will make no difference either way, as the output will be near zero pressure.

That said, I would worry about contaminants being introduced into the wort. If you were to go this route, install an inline super-fine air filter.

If you use a compressed air filter for air tools and 2 of the small disc filters (like in the O2 kit) that should stop all the contaminates. What will still get past is moist air (unless you run a desiccant filter) and possibly nasty aromatics from the air system (musky condensation, rusty tank, plastic air line, the material used in the oil less pump...).

If you use a compressed air filter for air tools and 2 of the small disc filters (like in the O2 kit) that should stop all the contaminates. What will still get past is moist air (unless you run a desiccant filter) and possibly nasty aromatics from the air system (musky condensation, rusty tank, plastic air line, the material used in the oil less pump...).

I would also be concerned about compressor stink... any condensation in the tank is sure to pick up some odors, or the plastic smell of the airline.

I just rack the chilled wort from the kettle to primary through a SS strainer (like a fine mesh colander)
Aerates extremely well and catches most of the hop debris (which I find makes the losses when racking to secondary a bit lower)

I go with the paint stirrer on a power drill, froths it up like a milk shake

plus a fat, healthy starter of fresh yeast and my latest batch took off like a rocket, hitting high krausen and falling within 24 hours

I have the FastFerment conical fermenter so it's hard to shake it without the straps (which I do not currently own). I pour the wort in there without care, then I take my sanitized brew spoon (cleaned while chilling the wort then sanitized) to stir like a mad man for a good minute or two. I do not know how well this works, but I would like to get one of the aeration kits for the small red oxygen tanks eventually. Or maybe I will buy a wine degasser and attach it to a drill (cheaper solution).

I could see this working very well. Lots of exposure and small window for contamination.

been doing it this way for a while now. but this last batch WOW

this pic was 26 hours after pitching. NEVER had one get up and giddyup this quick

2016-02-23 13.57.55.jpg

Big restaurant whisks work great too. I use a 24 inch big wire restaurant whisk in my kettle. Beat it to a froth, which does not take too much effort and then transfer to the fermenter. Super fast and easy and the whisk cost less than $10.

To make good beer, you have to aerate the wort well. I rock and slosh mine in my lap for a couple of minutes. This also gives me time to bond with my fermenter; tell it what it means to me; how nice it has been to me over the years, having asked for nothing in return except a good cleaning and sanitizing; most importantly, it's a chance to listen to any problems it may have. It's a wonderful --- often emotional --- moment. After a long and hearty hug, I put it downstairs, turn off the light and say, "I'll see you in three weeks." And that's how you make good beer.

To make good beer, you have to aerate the wort well. I rock and slosh mine in my lap for a couple of minutes. This also gives me time to bond with my fermenter; tell it what it means to me; how nice it has been to me over the years, having asked for nothing in return except a good cleaning and sanitizing; most importantly, it's a chance to listen to any problems it may have. It's a wonderful --- often emotional --- moment. After a long and hearty hug, I put it downstairs, turn off the light and say, "I'll see you in three weeks." And that's how you make good beer.

This is too freaking funny!!!!!!! :D Where in Western, NY are you located? I'm in Canandaigua.

Well dang it maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.

I gotta sweet talk her a bit more and just knock her up and move on like she's my wife or something!!

Plus one to a vigorous transfer. This is what i do and I can hardly remember a batch that did not start within a few hours.

I don't have or use any contraptions to aerate nor do I even shake my fermenter. I just rack vigorously from brewpot to fermenter letting it spash as I drain. I almost always pitch a slurry from a previous batch. Fermentation is always off to a good start by next morning and finished in 4-5 days.

^^ Probably gonna get a O2 meter for my birthday for this very reason. That and the obsession that has become keeping O2 out my ipas

Anyone ever measure their actual O2 intake with an O2 meter?

A few years back there was an HBTer (I'm thinking "Doug" something) with a DO meter that wrote up his results with aeration.
I used his results and the work Chris White wrote up in Yeast as the basis for my own method...

Cheers!

Ive been using an old pump originally designed for asthma treatments. Its just air, and ive installed an inline filter to a carbonation stone. Seems to work great. Doesnt take long. With any pump, outside of medical grade, i'd suggest a filter. Im sure there are better methods, but that is working, and ive got more shiny things to spend $ on lol.

Sorry, man, JUST saw this. I'm near Batavia. We did a flight at Naked Dove a couple years ago. Some good stuff.

No worries at all! Yes Naked Dove has some good beers! I have purchased kegs from them a few times in the past. Batavia isn't too far away maybe 1 hour at most.

If you are ever out this way again there are a couple more breweries to check out. Crafty Ales and Lagers (Phelps), Neloh (Bloomfield), Twisted Rail (Canandaigua) and of course Custom Brew Crafters (Honeoye Falls).

i usually just hit mine really hard with a sanitized hand blender with a single whisk on. greats a really nice froth, but only hits the top gallon or two. not sure how much of a difference that makes.

Home depot paint mixer on a cordless drill mixed in ferm bucket.It forms a tornado vortex and you can hear the air being sucked to the bottom of the bucket.Nice and foamy..cheap,easy fast and effective

Back