Aerating wort in Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyplank

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered in here already, just couldn't find a thread...

I'm looking for a good way to aerate wort once it's in my Corny Keg (used as primary fermenter). Currently I run the cooled wort from my kettle, through a short tube into a double-mesh strainer, and into the keg. Then I shake the crap out of it for a good while.
Is this effective enough, or do you guys have a nice way of getting this done? I also have one of those little aquarium pumps with a carb stone at the end of it. It failed me the first time I tried to use it (it hummed like it was running but didn't push any bubbles into the wort). I'm sure I could clean it up and get it going again though. I'd rather not purchase an O2 tank, just due to the cost of it.

Thanks much for the advice.

Were you venting the keg at all when you were trying to use the aquarium pump? Otherwise, I would imagine you would be building up too much pressure within the keg for the little pump to overcome

Were you venting the keg at all when you were trying to use the aquarium pump? Otherwise, I would imagine you would be building up too much pressure within the keg for the little pump to overcome
The aquarium pump attempt was in a bucket, so it was open. The carb stone produced bubbles when I ran it in sani, but as soon as I got it in the wort, nothing. I'm leaning towards giving it another shot tomorrow. Can't hurt to try.

using air - and that should be sterile air-- you can get a max DO of like 8ppm as i recall. which is a bit on the low side per alot of literature. but it definitely works. alot of folks do it, both homebrew and pro.

for pure o2 the little brazing/soldering tanks from home depot are like 8-10 bucks. the regulator can be alot more, but you can probly score one on ebay for peanuts. if you're in already in a corny i dont see why you couldnt use o2 to add some pressure to seal the keg, say 2-3psi. then shake the hell out of it as usual. by adding pure o2 you're going to have higher % of o2 than is found in air (~20% i think?) so you should be getting a higher ppm of DO.

in theory. others can chime in on the specifics.

or just buy an oxygenation wand if you really want higher o2 levels.

Latest posts

Back