Aerating wort in a glass carboy help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zrab11

Reaction score
Alright so I have some brews under my belt and decided i should do a few things to improve my beer. Ive started to yeast wash and step up my yeast.

I bought a .5 diffusion stone and have a small aquarium pump and I thought I would use that to aerate my wort. Well I can get the diffusion stone to work in water but as soon as it touches the wort it gets clogged up or stop working. i am not sure if my pump is not strong enough or what. AND NO I HAVE NOT TOUCHED IT WITH MY HANDS TO MAKE My OILS CLOG IT UP. and yes i have boiled it for 15 min and still can't get it to work.

Anyway thats a little besides the point.

What is the best way to aerate your wort with as little cost involved.

Right now I shake the wort while it is in the carboy for 3-5min.

I have read on different forums where people use a strainer and let the wort splash in and where people have used like a cement or grout mixer attached to a drill and run that for 3-5min to aerate the wort.

Well I work on houses for a living and do some tile work and have some of those mixers I could attach to a drill but I know there is no way they could fit down the neck of the carboy.

Also I see plp using big strainers over there buckets to aerate wort? How would i achieve this with a carboy? Use a funnel with a small screen at the end?

SO WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO AERATE WORT in a GLASS Carboy?

Looking for the best solution under 30$ but would love for it to be much cheaper!

Thanks for your help

Well I work on houses for a living and do some tile work and have some of those mixers I could attach to a drill but I know there is no way they could fit down the neck of the carboy.

Warning: Only do this if you want amazingly aerated wort in under 1 minute using $5 worth of material.

Check out this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-wort-aeration-173053/

The OP does a pretty good job of explaining how it works... I made one very similar to this, and it works flawlessly every time. I love it. The only additional thing I did was to cut a piece of 1/2" ID vinyl tubing (hardware store cheap stuff) that was the same length as my metal dowel. I place the metal part of the aerator inside of the tubing so that when I put the aerator into the carboy (1) I don't scratch the neck of my carboy by the spinning metal rod and (2) it gives you something to hold onto.

I have attached the picture of the finished product.

Capture.jpg

Back