Aerated after pitching yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not to happy with my second attempt. Did not go as good as first one. I'm made an Oatmeal Stout from extract and steeping grains. I got 2 problems. First I forgot to aerate the wort after I racked into my primary, so I did it after I pitched the yeast... No, actually I have 3 problems. Secondly, I pitched the yeast about 5*F over what it says(bone head). And third, for some reason after I racked into my carboy, there appears to be only about 3.5G of wort. It's right next to my first batch and its an inch and a half below the first one. SO, i'm an idiot, but what should I do about the low level? My OG reading was about 2-4 points off. I assume from the low volume. So should I top it off to 5 gallons? And is my yeast going to be alright. It's Safale US-05. I started both batches at 6.25G of water, and they both boiled the same amount of time, WTF?

Not a lost batch at all...

1) Volume - You could top it but I'd wait until it ferments out if at all. Maybe somebody with direct experience with this will chime in (I've also done the same thing but didn't end up topping off)
2) Temp - Not a big deal. I'm sure the yeast would like it spot on but I don't think you'll see any big impact for five degrees. Just make sure your fermentation temps are nice and steady and within range for the yeast.
3) Aeration after pitching - Not a big deal IMO. I tend to give a shake both prior to and after pitching (again, maybe somebody will chime in with more info)

If youve already pitched then dont top off. Less volume usually means a bit fuller, maybe a little more abv. Aeration shouldnt be a problem, sometimes I have a slow ferment and will give fermenter a good shake or two to get things going again. Shouldnt be a problem with yeast just a bit over temp either, might impart estery flavors but more than likely not since it was pretty close

How much malt you have in this batch? If you add top off water it may dilute it to the point of being too watery.

5lbs of DME plus flaked barley, flaked oats, and about 3lbs of specialty grains. I'm just afraid it will be way to strong tasting. It is a stout and it looks like about only 4 gallons. I'm supposed to have 5 gallons so why not top off?

I don't have access to my software but if I remember the point system it is in the range of 1.060. That does sound a bit high for a standard stout.

1.056 which is about 6 points higer than it is supposed to be. I topped it off to 5 gallons and it is bubbling away every 10 seconds. I pitched the yeast at 10.

First, R-E-L-A-X. I know it's hard, it's only your second batch but getting all excited isn't going to help anything.

Aerating after pitching is no big deal. It's as hotly debated as using a secondary or not. You can do it either way with fabulous results. In fact, if you get an O2 injection system it suggests adding 02 at consistant rates for up to four hours after pitching.

5º on the temp isn't a killer either. Most yeast have about a 10º window. Yeah, it's great to be at that "perfect" temp, but 5º is nothing to worry about. Get it as close as possible you just don't want it going on a rollercoaster with the temps. Keep it steady.

Topping off...at this point, I wouldn't. Just personal opinion. Part of topping off is getting it all mixed well together. My guess is it's going to be a drinkable, enjoyable beer. Maybe not "perfect" but learn from it, enjoy it, take notes and improve upon this attempt next time.

It's your second batch my friend. There will be 100's more down the road.

shafferpilot said:
And you'll have plenty of opportunity to screw up several of those 100 brews:p

So keep good notes because any one of the screw ups could make the greatest brew you have ever had. :mug:

Once fermentation starts, I wouldn't top off. If for some reason, the yeast craps out because of the higher gravity, then yeah, you can consider diluting a bit and pitching more yeast. You really aren't that far off your target OG though, and not that high as far as the yeast is concerned. It will turn out a little stronger and may take a little longer to ferment out, but you will have good beer in the end. Just call it an Imperial Stout. :D

Aeration after pitching is just fine, as long as you don't aerate after the fermentation is over you are fine. The yeast will use the oxygen up either way.

Pitching a bit hot won't hurt things either... remember, dry yeast is supposed to be rehydrated in 100F water, so you're in no danger of killing the yeast. It might have some effect on your flavor profile, but probably not. I would think the fermentation temp has way more of an effect than the temperature the yeast is pitched into. Either way, with a stout, it's really not an issue.

All in all, it'll turn out just fine.

beer with too much flavor? what the hell is that?

it may take a little longer to ferment, but that's the only downside i see. it's not going to be super alcoholic or undrinkably thick at that OG.

It all really dempends on if you want it to more true to the style. I have a hefe going right now that was on the high side..and only 4.5 gallons so I plan on waiting until Im in secondary to top off. I had a great fermentation so I didn't worry about it not finishing. Let it finish fermenting..take a reading and tase the sample..than decide..if it is what you want leave it alone and start another batch. If it is too big or full..use 1 gallon of fresh boiled clean water or bottled water to top off.

Jay

Well, I decided to top off to 5 gallons last night. I just didn't want it to be like an Imperial or something like that. It's been 14 hours since I pitched the yeast and the airlock is bubbling every 3 seconds. So, appartently I didn't kill the yeast. My question now is why would doing two seperate batches with the same boil time and the same starting amount of water end up at 5G and one at 3.5-4? Same pot, same boil time, same stove?

not nearly as many steeping grains as the first batch. I didn't think about that. Good point. Still, It was a good 1.5 gallons short of the first one.

ambient temp. humidity, and how hard the boil was. If you really crank it up and keep the wort on the verge of boiling over the whole time, you'll loose a lot of water. Doesn't matter, it's easily replaced. It's a much bigger problem to have more than your intended finishing volume! Not much you can do about that.

I'm new at this too so take this with a grain of salt (or carapils, or chocolate)
I just measured my carboy (assuming your using a 6.5g carboy) and 5 gallons is 11.25 inches, devided by 5 gallons = 2.25 inches per gallon. So if you were 1.5 inches off your other measured 5 gallon batch, you were only a tad over half a gallon short. 85oz or thereabouts.. (pardon the second grade approach to this)

How much water did you add?

And as others have said.. RELAX.. LOL.. I'm on batch #3 and I'm ignoring it until it's had 12 days in primary. It will either be great, or it won't, who cares. You'll still drink it (hopefuly). :mug:

Sometimes it's what you DON'T get perfect that's makes it great.. :tank:

i topped it off to 5gallons. How did your first 2 turn out? And, you're right it unless it tastes like kerosene I will drink it.

The first batch (Irish Stout) turned out good, but doing another (3rd batch) that I've added a few things too, hoping to make it evern better.
The second batch was drinkable, but it was a crap-quality, all LME kit that left much to be desired.

2 outta three ain't bad.. :rockin:

I now know which kits NOT to buy, so some good did come of it.

I think yours will be fine... :mug:

Back