Aerate in Boil Kettle rather than Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hinkensj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been aerating my cooled wort in the carboy for some time now, but it is messy with the foaming, etc.

I am considering chilling my wort in the boil kettle using my immersion chiller then aerating with my aquarium pump and stone. This way there is more room for the foam to develop.

I am guessing this process would roust the hot- and cold break so I would let this settle out after aeration and before transferring to the carboys.

Any thoughts on this process?

You'll lose a good amount of the air you're pushing in with the pump while it settles.

I would just ditch the aquarium pump and move to using pure 02 (William's wand and O2 tank). I typically infuse that way with 1-2LpM for 60-90 seconds for most of my batches (did 3 minutes for my 1.130 OG barleywine). You can add 1-2 drops per gallon of fermcap into the fermenter IF it's got too little headspace. That will help with the oxygenating foam as well as during fermentation. It will settle out with the yeast, so no worries there.

Latest posts

Back