Advice..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaconManic

Reaction score
So after doing a few brews with my Mr. Beer I have decided that my taste for beer (Arrogant Bastard (oaked) and Rogue Dead Guy) has out grown the kits avaible with this "device."

I found food grade buckets from Lowe's that are 5 gallons. The Question is can I put 5 gallon batches in this or should I scale everyting back to 4 gallons?

Also the next step would be ectract brewing correct? I am still learning this craft an want to make sure I explore ever facet. So where could I find some "easier" recipies to follow. :D

Double check to make sure those buckets are food grade. In the 5 gallon bucket you can do 4 gallon batches. Extract brewing is the next step. Search these forums for an Arrogant Bastard recipe. All grain versions can be converted to extract versions...it'll just take some research to figure out the conversion rates.

Those buckets are too small for a 5 gallon batch, since most fermentations create enough krausen and pressure to pop the lid off and make a huge mess. But there's nothing wrong with 4 gallon batches!

I just started brewing 4 gallon batches in those exact same buckets. I put a hole in the lid for a carboy bung and put an airlock in that. The lids actually seal really well. I've been really pleased with the buckets so far, and you can't beat the price.

To scale a recipe from 5 gallons to 4 gallons, you literally just multiply all ingredient amounts to 4/5.

You should probably start with extract brewing, but steeping some grains always helps. I made the extract version Edwort's Haus Pale Ale pretty early in my brewing career, and it turned out fantastic. It's pretty easy.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions on your homebrewing adventures! I don't know how I'd be this far along brewing if not for HBT :mug:

You could probably do 4 gallons in 5 gallon buckets - make sure you are able to use a "blow off tube" - very simple to do, just search it on the forum, maybe on youtube.
You cannot do a primary ferment of 5 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket. You could use a 5 gallon bucket for secondary fermentation (if you do it).

Generally, extract is the next step. Although, some people do jump right to all grain.

Start by buying some "kits" to do from a good dealer. I really like Northern Brewer. Great kits. They provide recipes and descriptions on their websites. Start with kits and then adjust from there. Some good beginner kits are things like brown ales, amber ales, irish ales, etc. Avoid Lagers to start.

#1 advice - get "How to Brew" by John Palmer - very good resource for beginner through intermediate and even some more advanced stuff.

#2 - if you feel you like the hobby and will stick with it, and can afford to do it, one of the best investments you can make is a really good boil kettle. Something that is 8-10 gallons, spigot on it, etc. This is something you can use forever, and would eventually be a purchase you would likely make if you go all-grain someday. It is also something you could use to ease into all grain by doing "Brew in a Bag" grain recipes.

My advice is to hit up Midwest Brewing for a real homebrew kit. Or one of the other major online stores. It will have 6.5 gallon buckets that work great for the default 5 gallon batch size. Plus lots of other equipment that can really make brewing more convenient.

And check out the online stores for kits of those recipes. Most places have some VERY good kits to mimic commercial beers.

That said, you can get away with a 5 gallon bucket for a primary IF you reduce the batch size, or use an anti foam agent, like Fermcap, or baby gas drops to keep the krausen from pushing up into the airlock.

I still recommend stepping up to a regular kit. I think you will like the equipment you get.

Thanks all! :D

The reason I am sticking with the 5 gallon lowes buckets is because they tend to run cheaper (plus I already converted one into a bottleing bucket while using my Mr. Beer). The only reason I feel using the boxed kits will hinder me is because of my bucket choice, I would feel as if I am wasting some of the recipe, unless I can do the whole 5 gallons and put 4 in the lowes bucket and 1 in the MR. Beer (might be too much air space in the Mr Beer).

So I guess I need to look around here for the exctract recipes for which I could buy the correct amounts of ingedients for a 4 gallon batch.

Glad to see I am on the right path!

So I guess I need to look around here for the exctract recipes for which I could buy the correct amounts of ingedients for a 4 gallon batch.

As far as correct amounts, many homebrew stores will let you buy extract and grains in exact amounts. I order most of my ingredients through Brewmaster's Warehouse, and they do this.

My LHBS sells the 6.5 gallon bucket and lids (with grommet for airlock) for less than $10 and it is already marked for gallons and liters.

My LHBS sells the 6.5 gallon bucket and lids (with grommet for airlock) for less than $10 and it is already marked for gallons and liters.

Yeah, I'm thinking how much cheaper is the Lowe's bucket that you wouldn't want a 6.5 bucket already drilled for spigot and lid with airlock hole? Not to mention the gallon increments, gallons to liter equivalents, specific gravity to degrees Plato equivalents, and that cool brew supply logo? AND, if your going to be buying kits, why screw around trying to scale them to cheap, too small buckets?
Step up, support the home brew supply industry, let the painters, and dry waller's support Lowe's. :D

Your post says you're in York, PA- there are a number of homebrew stores in PA, and at least two that I am aware of in Philly. Try hitting one of them up- there's probably one in or near York.

Yeah, I'm thinking how much cheaper is the Lowe's bucket that you wouldn't want a 6.5 bucket already drilled for spigot and lid with airlock hole? Not to mention the gallon increments, gallons to liter equivalents, specific gravity to degrees Plato equivalents, and that cool brew supply logo? AND, if your going to be buying kits, why screw around trying to scale them to cheap, too small buckets?
Step up, support the home brew supply industry, let the painters, and dry waller's support Lowe's. :D

Yep - go with the bigger buckets. You are talking about a tiny amount of money that you are going to save - especially if you think of it over the life of the buckets you will use. You would waste that much money on scaling one or two kits down to 4 gallons from 5 gallons. Saving a quarter of an ounce of hops here and there is going to simply result in a stock pile of hops you can't use. Plus, you DO NOT want to start trying to mess around with getting 4/5's of your malt extracts out, and saving the rest. That will be a PITA and a big mess. Check out all of the local brew stores in your area and find the one that is the most helpful/well priced.

Alright.. Maybe I will buy a normal brew bucket as my primary fermentor. I already converetd the Lowes bucket over to a bottleing bucket, that should work right? Maybe I should just start over with all my kits. I just like to build my own stuff, so when I had the idea of drilling I just wanted to do that.

I had the lowes bucket for botteling from my mr. beer brews because I didn't really like putting the sugar into the bottles.

Could my Lowes botteling bucket work for that?

Also you are talking about 5 dollars for the bucket vs 15+ for a brewers bucket.

About $10 in st. Louis for a 6.5 gallon bucket and lid. A little closer to your $15 for a 6.5 bottling bucket and lid,
Also if you are using kits you will lose 1/ 5 of your ingredients .. about 7-9 dollars per kit if you convert t 4 gallons.
For your current bottling bucket pour 5 gallon of water in it to see how close you are to the top. It should be ok for bottling..... maybe ;)

Back