Advice/suggestions on brewery plumbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goaticus

Reaction score
This is a pretty rough sketch, but thought I would ask the experts for any suggestions. Would love to keep things as simple as possible. This is a half barrel system. I intend to use 20 Gallon Brewers Hardware kettles, though had considered down sizing the HLT to 15G. Thoughts on that welcome as well. Planning an E-build with Blichmann Boil Coils in the HLT and BK.

4oc7ckb8ja.jpg

My thoughts:

Include a valve right at the pump outlet for flow control. Yeah it's an extra part but it will be helpful. I would also include a valve at every vessel outlet.
Check the orientation of pump 1
I'd switch the 3 way valve out of your HLT to 2 standard valves and a T fitting, it will work better for flow control, and that way you could run out of both at the same time. It will also likely be cheaper.
Make sure to orient the 3 way valves properly, many 3 way valves only have 2 positions, which would be a problem in a few spots.

I am thinking of upgrading my system with a few pumps and more valves so your diagram has helped me to think more about this. Thank you.

My question is why is the 3 way valve upstream of the plate chiller and not downstream? Would it be more beneficial to pump the hot wort through the plate chiller to sanitize and then direct flow back to the BK with the 3 way valve? Or do you have other means to sanitize the lines and plate chiller? Again I only have an immersion chiller at this time so I'm no expert.

Coy94

I am thinking of upgrading my system with a few pumps and more valves so your diagram has helped me to think more about this. Thank you.

My question is why is the 3 way valve upstream of the plate chiller and not downstream?

Coy94

The three way valve in its current locations allows me to pump from the BK outlet to either the whirlpool inlet OR the plate chiller. Working on my revision now.

Okay. Revision.

q47j3bygak.jpg

I added 2-way valves to the pumps and the HL/HERMS leaving only one 3-way valve on the BK.

Okay. Revision.

q47j3bygak.jpg

I added 2-way valves to the pumps and the HL/HERMS leaving only one 3-way valve on the BK.

So at the pump output, you would have a t-fitting to two 2-way ball valves, correct? Would it be simpler and/or cheaper to have a single 3-way valve instead?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

So at the pump output, you would have a t-fitting to two 2-way ball valves, correct? Would it be simpler and/or cheaper to have a single 3-way valve instead?

In my research, yes it would. And, after inspecting some 3-way valves I had at home, they offer both the ability to throttle flow and close all 3 ports. They also simplify the task of 'handle turning' greatly. I will be back with a drastic revision soon. I went to pull the trigger at BrewersHardware and they were out of stock of just about everything as far as kettles. So, I moved over to StoutTanks and decided to go even bigger and switch to a 2-vessel RIMS design utilizing on demand water near 168 for final rinse eliminating the HLT all together. I was already buying an on demand for my brew-space and found that the Rheem models I was looking at can be set up to provide water "up to 185 deg." So I'm thinking I'll set it just below 168 on the Rheem and then let the RIMS make up for any heat lost or error.

Back