Advice on portable 19L keg setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Smith

Reaction score
Hi, a couple of friends and i have got tired of bottling so want to move into kegging. Given we'll want to share the beers a kegerator setup is too static, so i was looking into the most portable 19L corny keg set up and wanted something like the image below
(19L corny keg, tap directly attached, and a mini CO2 regulator with the small co2 cartidges).
Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 17.08.21.png

I have no experience kegging before so my question is, how many of these small co2 cartridges do i need to force carbonate a room temperature keg? (they are usually 16g or 74g)

If i use priming sugar in the keg, then the cartridges just for serving, how much co2 is needed then?

And then, how much will the compression cool down the beer for serving if the keg is stored at room temperature?

Thanks a lot for any help :)

If you use priming sugar to carbonate the beer, you will likely need 2-3 16 gram cartridges to server the keg.

A room temperature keg is going to launch beer from the faucet and be very foamy.

If you are going to go with the configuration pictured, a flow control faucet would be worth the extra money.

The keg will need to be cold to serve the beer, and for best results, it should be stationary and cold for a couple of days for best results.

Back