Advice on kettles/burners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sentfromspain

Reaction score
I'm looking to starting up a nanobrewery in Spain in the next two years, and am interested in a Blichmann Engineering 55 gallon Boilermaker as my main kettle.

Now for this system I would need a standing burner, and I have only ever used electric kettles. Blichmann says that for my purposes, I would need to replace the US regulators with ones that I could get locally...

Frankly, that simple sentence is greek to me. Can somebody point me in the right direction of understanding burners and regulators, regulator replacement and the like?

It's all about pressure. You need to know the supply pressure (and type) of your gas out of the regulator. From there you need to look at a gas orifice table and get a rough idea for the oriface size you need for your BTU's at your pressure. For example, I use low pressure propane at 11" WC and have my orifaces drilled out to 0.068" if I recall correctly. This yields a theoretical BTU output of 100k on my BG-14's. I suggest you start a little below your target diameter and drill up progressively with trial and error until you get a moderately sized blue flame. You're going to need a metric table but that's the process.

Latest posts

Back