Advice on dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlsonderek

Reaction score
Hey all
I have my Dunkelweizen sitting in primary going on 2.5 weeks now. It's about 60% wheat malt, with some Munich and touch of chocolate. Normally I secondary all my beers for a few weeks, some for clarity, some (like wheat beers) just to let the yeast clean up and do their work. Always had great results. I only have two carboys, and this time that second carboy is full of my Oktoberfest that I would like to keep lagering for a while longer. So my question is do you think the Dunkelweizen would still turn out well if I just primary it for a week longer than usual then go straight to bottling? Obviously being wheat it wouldn't need to clarify anyway but I want to know if skipping secondary would miss out on any important yeast action? (I used white labs Hefeweizen Yeast). Thanks!

I rarely use a secondary (unless I'm lagering or dry hopping), so I don't see a reason not to just transfer from the primary. Besides, like you stated, a Dunkel isn't supposed to be clear anyway.

Yes I think I'm just gonna bottle. Being a very yeasty beer it should be good that way. Thanks:)

Back