Advice On Dry Yeast or Starter For 3 Gallon Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggersjay

Noisy Neighbor
Reaction score
Hello, first post on here... I am planning on brewing a clone of Canadian Breakfast Stout, an Imperial Stout with an intended OG of around 1.090 and volume of 3 gallons. I usually brew smaller batches, 1-2 gallons, and use dry yeast sprinkled right on top of the wort and it works like a champ. I don't have much experience with "larger" batches and I'm wondering if I should make a starter from the dry yeast or maybe purchase some liquid yeast? Also, can anyone suggest a good yeast to use to handle the higher gravity? Thanks!

For a big beer, it's not really a question dry vs. liquid, but rather pitching enough viable cells. I strongly recommend using one of yeast calculators to determine how much you need for this beer, and make an appropriate starter (or enough packs without a starter).

As far as yeast strains for high gravity, the "Chico" strains, like US-05 or WLP001 can handle the ABV resulting from a 1.090 gravity just fine. And just as importantly, they are good for a CBS clone.

ETA: I'd ferment this at low temps. I ferment my big stouts (with WLP001) at 61F. That's fermentation temperature, which for a beer like this will be more than a little bit higher than ambient temp.

... Canadian Breakfast Stout, an Imperial Stout with an intended OG of around 1.090 and volume of 3 gallons. I usually brew smaller batches, 1-2 gallons, and use dry yeast sprinkled right on top of the wort and it works like a champ.

I don't have much experience with "larger" batches and I'm wondering if I should make a starter from the dry yeast or maybe purchase some liquid yeast?

Lallemand has additional advice on how to use their dry yeast strains in higher OG worts. For Nottingham, take a look at the technical data sheet (link). They also have a pitch rate calculator (link) that could be used as a starting point. IIRC, Fermentis has similar advice.

Also, can anyone suggest a good yeast to use to handle the higher gravity? Thanks!

I have brewed enjoyable OG 90 beers with US-05 by doubling my normal pitch rate and sprinkling the yeast on top of the wort.

3 gallons is still a "small" batch. Even at 1.090 I would only use one pack of any dried yeast. You can use two packs of dried yeast if you are concerned, but I don't think it's necessary. With any liquid yeast, you will want to make a decent sized starter starter for sure. Not necessary doing anything fancy with dried yeast though.

Thanks for all the good information! Sounds like I'll probably stick with the dry yeast, probably US-05. Like Vikeman said, I'll check out a calculator and pitch appropriately.

Back