Advice on choosing rims tube/element for my set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
Im looking at to add a small rims tube to my setup strictly to hold mash temp not for stepping or anything , i mash in a modified mash and boil,lodo and boil in a separate kettle, the M&B swings too wildly during the mash so id like to help fix that, still works and i get conversion but the OCD in me would prefer steady temps, i brew small batches 2.5-4 gallon max, i emailed some vendors who sell such equipment but no response so i figured id ask everyone for some advice or ideas

Split the recirc so half is going into the grain basket and half is going back to the bottom of the kettle under the basket and see if it fixes your issue. Might save you a few bucks for premium results.

Split the recirc so half is going into the grain basket and half is going back to the bottom of the kettle under the basket and see if it fixes your issue. Might save you a few bucks for premium results.
Appreciate your input, problem i would have doing that is i do not use the grain basket and i use a mash cap

Appreciate your input, problem i would have doing that is i do not use the grain basket and i use a mash cap
Me too. Drill through the side of the kettle and make it so. Sandwich the heat from the bottom and the top simultaneously. The bonus points are being able to heat to gel temperature under the false bottom before opening up the top recirc to the mash cap at Dough-in. Pretty sweet really.

Me too. Drill through the side of the kettle and make it so. Sandwich the heat from the bottom and the top simultaneously. The bonus points are being able to heat to gel temperature under the false bottom before opening up the top recirc to the mash cap at Dough-in. Pretty sweet really.
Any chance you can post a picture? Sounds cool

20220429_083907.jpg

20220429_083907.jpg

Here you go!

Ohhh thats rad man, so you split the input to sandwich the mash? Im a slow learner resource room and all

So from the valve into the pump, then split into 2 inputs, one under the FB and the other on top of mash? Im following right?

So from the valve into the pump, then split into 2 inputs, one under the FB and the other on top of mash? Im following right?
The pump draws from the very bottom of the tun and splits the flow to under the false bottom and to the mash cap. The lower temp gauge gives instant temp readings for both flows, very simple. Less is more.

You can take a cue from BrewBoss and now Blichmann (breweasy compact) and put a bulkhead through the middle of your mash cap that has a tube extend down about a foot into the mash with hole drilled all around.

The sight glass on the left side attached under the false bottom acts as a manometer and will give you real time feedback of the vacuum on the grain bed. It's handier than a shirt pocket for adjusting the upper ball valve when recircing early in the mash before you hit gel temps.

You can take a cue from BrewBoss and now Blichmann (breweasy compact) and put a bulkhead through the middle of your mash cap that has a tube extend down about a foot into the mash with hole drilled all around.
Some of this was stolen directly from your setup.

Edit: some of my setup was stolen directly from your rig.

Last edited:
You and bobby made me think, maybe instead of drilling into the side of the mash and boil( being its double walled kind of a pain) i can drill another hole in my mash cap and attach a hose that goes all the way to under the FB, so one outlet on surface of mash the other to the bottom, what do you think?

That should not be an issue at all. It can be run down the side to be out of the way for your mash cap. It will still give you the benefits of very even heating under your false bottom and the same temperature going to the mash cap.

Back