Advice on Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
Hey everyone.....I am very excited to be preparing to step into the world of All Grain Brewing.

I have been doing extract brews for over a year now and love it...but now want to advance to all grain.

I am in process of making a mash tun and realize I need a larger brew pot than the 5 gallon pot I have been using for extract.

I was figuring on an 8 gallon Megapot....but then was thinking whyt not go with the 10 gallon for another $25?

I am planning on using my 5 gallon pot to heat the water for mashing and sparging......etc.....

And the new 8 gallon (or 10 gallon pot) pot for the boil of course.

Advice needed please! :D

indoor or outside?
gas or electric?
I use a hot water tank, its free exsept for the valve and pretty easy to konvert

Yes i think you will like having the 10gal instead of the 8

I would definitely go for the 10 Gallon. Don't cheap out you'll regret it. I use an enamel 8G for heating water. A bit lighter to handle and fairly cheap on amazon w/ free shipping as well.

Depending if you already have a place in mind to buy. Try amazon as well. There is free shipping on many of the pots. Good Luck!

Mini-hijack (it may help someone else) - I'm getting back into AG and am scaling everything WAY back. I'll use propane burner, and do 3 gallon or 4 gallon only. Everything is built around this and it won't go higher. Would 8 gallon be ideal for me? I'm thinking it is.

If you decide on the 10, and step up to 10g batches, youll be back to partial boils. Just a little something to consider

I converted a keg and have been very happy with it. Lets me do 10gal batches or very very big beers! (using kegs for all my vessels)

I have a 10, and it is great. But I have a recipe or two that I would like to double, and now I'm wishing I had gotten a 12 gallon.

I have the 9 gallon Bayou Classic and wouldn't go any smaller. Go for the 10, especially if the price is that close

I have the 11 gallon (44qt) Bayou Classic SS pot with a kettle valve and I don't have one complaint about it. I run it on a Bayou Classic SP50 tall propane burner stand. No complaints about the burner either! Good luck!

BrewDay4-30-1120-27.png

BrewDay4-30-112-27.png

http://www.stainlessstockpots.com/s...-stockpot-lid-44-qt-stainless-steel-3918.html

I have one of these 44qt stock pots and it works great. Best deal I found. Now they even come with a spigot or without. I welded mine on. $99 without spigot, $125 with, plus free shipping.

Next time I am buying the 62 qt or 82 qt though for the money. Good deal on a kettle plenty big to handle 10-15 gallons.

EDIT: Duh, I guess I should go to page two and see what others have posted before posting.

If you decide on the 10, and step up to 10g batches, youll be back to partial boils. Just a little something to consider

+1 on this. I love my 15 gallon. Even if not for 10 gallon batches, having the extra room especially when doing a big beer is well worth the extra cash even if it means waiting a little longer to get it.

I say if you upgrade get a 60qt. The price difference between a 40 and a 60 is small and then you can do 10 gallon batches which will have like an 11-11.5 gal boil volume.

I say if you upgrade get a 60qt. The price difference between a 40 and a 60 is small and then you can do 10 gallon batches which will have like an 11-11.5 gal boil volume.

I agree. If I had to buy mine over again, I would have gone with the larger one. I like to do the Jamil method of 6-6.5 gallons left over after the boil to get full 5 gallon kegs after ferment. When I am doing a lager with Pilsner malt, a 90 minute boil bumps me up to 8-8.5 gallons pre-boil. I keep fermcap-s handy when I am that close to the top. If you are really serious about brewing, I wouldn't get anything under a 15 gallon kettle. You will thank yourself later.

Latest posts

Back