Advice on an IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzBrewer9047

Reaction score
Can I get some input on this recipe? I am looking to do a Mosaic/ Cashmere IPA. I had a hazy IPA that I liked that used those 2 hops that was really good. I got the efficiency from a Hefe and an IPA that I just brewed the other day. I hit 1.048 (expected 1.055) on the hefe and 1.050 (expected 1.060) on the IPA. I planned to do the LME as a late addition to boost the gravity and ABV a bit. I only have 5 brews under my belt (2 extract and 3 BIAB)

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 7 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 9.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.057
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.019
ABV (standard): 7.05%
IBU (tinseth): 90.78
SRM (morey): 6.28
Mash pH: 0

FERMENTABLES:
19 lb - Pale 2-Row (91.6%)
0.75 lb - Honey Malt (3.6%)
1 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light - (late addition) (4.8%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 57.29
0.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 12.23
0.5 oz - cashmere, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.3, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 8.12
0.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 7.9
0.5 oz - cashmere, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.3, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 5.24
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
1 oz - cashmere, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.3, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 9.5 gal

YEAST:
Imperial Yeast - A07 Flagship

Are you wanting to make a regular IPA, or a Hazy New England IPA?
Recipe as is will make an IPA on the bitter side with an IBU at 90.

If you want a Hazy NEIPA:
Keep your bittering addition at 60 but adjust quantity to make IBU 30-40ish
move the rest of the boil hops to whirlpool hops.
Whirlpool at around 160 degrees for about 30 minutes.
I would probably double the whirlpool and dry hop amounts as well.

With that FG it appears hes going for NEIPA. Imo 30 min hop additions are a waste. 60 min then late addition and whirlpool. I add oats and wheat to my NEIPA as well . The grain bill looks more like a west coast IPA .

I wasn't really looking for a hazy IPA. I am not that knowledgeable on IPA styles, such as west coast and east coast. I was just looking to do a basic IPA with the mosaic and cashmere, and I have some magnum on hand from a stout I did. I like hoppy beer, but with those other 2 hops I was looking for something up over 7% that was easy drinking.

I wasn't really looking for a hazy IPA. I am not that knowledgeable on IPA styles, such as west coast and east coast. I was just looking to do a basic IPA with the mosaic and cashmere, and I have some magnum on hand from a stout I did. I like hoppy beer, but with those other 2 hops I was looking for something up over 7% that was easy drinking.

I think your recipe looks just fine. You will want higher bitterness with higher alcohol to balance. Best thing is to go with what you have planned and see if you like it. Change things incrementally not drastically.

Latest posts

Back