Advice on altering second half of a split kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scratch

Reaction score
I've brewed a couple 2.5 gallon batches, because that's about right for my consumption rate (actually, that's a bit more than my standard consumption rate, but I'm willing to adjust.) The first batch I did was a Belgian Tripel kit, and I split it in half to get 2.5 gallons. I was seduced by the word "Belgian," and didn't really look into the type of beer until it was already in the fermenter. Anyway, it was way too....something. I'm not interested in making any more of that particular beer, so I'd like to see what I can do with the other half, with minimal alterations. Specifically, would I get a drinkable beer if I just left out the Belgian Candi Sugar and the maltodextrin?

Here are the ingredients I have remaining:

3.3 lb Amber LME (Briess)
1.5 lb Pilsen DME
.5 lb Candi Sugar
4 oz Maltodextrin

2 oz Aromatic Specialty Grains

1 oz Kent Bittering Hops - Alpha Acid 4.9%
.25 oz Kent Aroma Hops - Alpha Acid 4.9%

I've looked around at recipes, but they all seem to be pretty complex, with multiple types of hops, etc. I'd like to find something simple, without having to add much, if anything. But I'd be willing to do a little shopping if a couple more ingredients would make a big difference (I have two LHBS.) Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Have you had Belgians before? Bellgian yeasts offer far different flavors than english or american yeasts? I have lots of friends that do not like anything with Belgian yeast. That said, you could try using a different yeast next time.

Make it again and let it age a little while. My first Belgian tasted like rocket fuel for the first couple of months. Then it was very nice. It may just need time.

Thanks guys. I'm really wondering though, could I use the rest of the ingredients unaltered, or with minor changes to make something lighter?

Back