Advice on aging Imperial Stout and Christmas Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robaincltnc

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently got back into home brewing and am loving it! I have 5Corny's. 3 ball locks. 1 is filled with IPA. I have two primary femertation's going now (Maibock and blond ale for the wife). With the other two pin lock keg's I am thinking of doing an imperial stout and a Christmas ale and letting them age until the fall.

My question to you guys:

Can I do it as normal:
2 weeks in prmiary
1-2 weeks in secondary
Then Keg and age until October-Novemer-December?

Would this process work well? Also, is the Christmas Ale good? Thinking about it or a pumpkin spice ale.

Thanks for the help!

With big beers, extending the length of all steps helps the beer. Try four weeks in the primary, four weeks in the secondary, then keg. A RIS with an ABV around 9% should be coming into full flavor at six months.

When you say Xmas ale, are you referring to a spiced brown ale?
When "spicing" beer, I wait until I'm bottling to add the spices as a tea. It is much easier to adjust here as the beer is close to its final taste.

Thanks BK, will do on the RIS. I am rethinking the Xmas ale...maybe do one in the fall but from what I'm told it really doesn't need aging...Thinking of going ahead now with an Octoberfest and kegging and leaving in a neighbor's fridge (they have room and no tap ;-)) until Sept. Or, do you think I can age it in a 60deg cellar? Thanks for the great advice and forum!

Right... but to what Christmas Ale are you referring? Are you talking about a kit online? Or a recipe here on the forum?

The bigger the beer, the longer until it's properly conditioned and drinkable. If it's fairly high alcohol then yes, you're better off letting it age for a few months prior to consumption.

I was referring to a Christmas Ale extract kit from Morebeer. Speaking of recipe tweaks...any recommendations to add to my Russian Imperial Stout (extract kit from Morebeer)? I like smoked beers and cream beers...but don't want to overpower. The recipe is supposed to be very tasty as it is. I tabled the Christmas Ale to go for the Octoberfest...can do Xmas ale later. Thanks!

If I wanted to do an Imperial Cream Stout when and how much lactose should I put in? Also, could I put chocolate in too or would that be too much?

Back