Advice for a braggot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty520

Reaction score
Hello,

I a mead and country wine maker, but I'd like to play around with making braggots. But beer brewing is completely alien to me

My one and only braggot was a 50/50 honey+LME must - was tasty, but one dimensional.

I'd like to start experimenting with another that is reminiscent of a Sam Smith's Oatmeal stout and/or Chocolate Stout...perhaps even a hybrid chocolate oatmeal braggot.

Using LME was quite handy, but from my initial research, a chocolate malt and oat profile cannot be achieved using LME.

Can any of you offer some advice on building a grain bill for 1 gallon of wort, and taking into account that half the sugars will be honey? Shooting for an FG of 1015/1020.

thinking some sort of combination of Crystal, Chocolate, Biscuit and/or Oat flakes?

(FYI, i am also not planning to hop it)

Last edited:
Ty, I would recommend using DME and steeping the dark malt/grains. It's kinda like making tea, soak the grains in 150* water for 30 or so minutes, you may get some conversion (ie sugar) but the color and flavor you are looking for will be there. Also it it is a braggot don't forget the hops. DME/LME does not need to be boiled so you can add it like honey. For a little hop bite I'd make a tea and boil the hops for maybe 10-15 minutes then pour that into the must. Those are my ideas. Didn't see the last line, but I don't think it will taste like a braggot if not hopped. Good luck :mug:

Back