Adventures in yeast harvesting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So. I made a batch of Fast Pitch to feed some yeast I harvested from a bottle. Today I took a sip from the starter, just cuz I'm learning. I then went to taste the Fast Pitch, again, cuz I'm learning. I had stored that in a growler I sanitized with starsan. When I opened it, it fizzed like a shook up coke. I have now made a new starter whith that, to see if I accidentally found some new yeast. Am I correct in assuming that a batch of Fast Pitch would not carbonate if something else hadn't gotten in there?

Fast pitch will not self carbonate. Your thinking is correct that some form of fermentation is happening.

I'd be more cautious of sipping out of the starter flask. You can introduce bacteria etc by sampling directly from the flask. I always sip my starters just to make sure there isn't a weird flavor in there. Pour a small sample into another container rather than sampling from the starter flask

Latest posts

Back