Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

I want to state with this recipe that I had some problems with right out of the gate. The official Skeeter Pee website says that 7 lbs of sugar equals 16 cups. Now we all know that granular solids have problems when converting volume to weight. I have to thank the wine making forum here for that insight. Anyway, in my kitchen, 16 cups of sugar equaled 8 lbs. I figured I had ruined the recipe right from the start. I know more sugar would just mean more alcohol. That's fine with me any day, but this time I really wanted to follow a given recipe and directions. There's more to the story about that, but I must touch another bit of inexperience first.
The recipe calls for "yeast slurry" I had no idea what that meant until reading the FAQ provided by SkeeterPee. I just happened to have a batch of White Grape/Raspberry wine from concentrate ready to go into secondary.
Now I had to go to my brew shop for other miscellaneous items for other things I have going, and nutrient/energizer for this endeavor, but my brew shop was closed for good!
I did not want my yeast to be poisoned by the high gravity of the fruit wine must. I racked my fruit wine and had no idea what to do with my slurry or how to store it for another day or so. What I did was measure a gallon of fresh water and rinse my primary and return it to my gallon jug along with a 1/2 tsp nutrient and 1/2 tsp sugar. I realize now there was no need for all this.
As luck would have it, another brew shop had opened about a month ago and it is about 20 miles closer than the first! After the trip on Saturday I was ready to begin the "process." This is where things got a little messy. I had no stock pot worthy of 8 lbs of sugar and enough water for the cook. I was stuck with two smaller cook pots and divided the sugar water evenly.
hbt-skeeter-pee-1131.jpg

Don't get me started on electric stoves and temperature control. At least it was a glass-top. Stirring two pots side by side for 30 minutes left the stove a sticky mess between the burners. I highly recommend not getting in a rush to try something new, especially if you don't have the proper equipment! I need a stockpot.
The recipe calls for the sugar water and lemon juice and chems and then water to 5 1/2 gallons. So after I had done all this I realized my slurry was sitting in guess what? Another gallon of water. My saving grace was the fact that even after reducing the total volume of water to 5 gallons, 8 lbs of sugar only brought specific gravity to 1.065. Just below the stated 1.070. I poured the slurry water into my Ale Pale and that brought it right to the brim and really reduced gravity.No room for the added sugar! I gave it all a gentle stir to mix in the yeast slurry and siphoned about 7/8ths of a gallon back into my jug. I just started pouring an un-measured amount granular sugar into the must and stirred till dissolved and took readings until I hit the 1.070 mark, and did the same with the jug. Now it was time to "stir in" some oxygen. I still had not much room to do this without making more mess to clean up. I used my auto siphon like a fish tank pump and got plenty of air into the mix. I think this is a good thing to use the siphon as a pump because you can get oxygen deplete must from the bottom of the pale and freshen it up on top, verses simply stirring a bit of air in at the top. It was easy and didn't drown the kitchen with brown water and lemon juice.
hbt-skeeter-pee-2-1132.jpg

In spite of my inexperience, lack of equipment, and misunderstanding (for a moment) of the recipe, I have 6 gallons of Pee in primary instead of 5!
hbt-skeeter-pee-3-1133.jpg

Well, let's just say this was a raving success even without back
sweetening a drop! I took it all to our annual canoe trip. I got some
cold brew tea and tossed a few bags in a gallon or two, then served on
ice and sugar to taste. I think I left the bags in too long (I just left
them in there) and after stuffing the overly large bags into the gallon
jugs, a small bit of tea escaped the bags. I'm not a HUGE fan of tea
anyway but it was good. I think I would prefer some synthetic powdered
stuff that has sweeteners in it already.
hbt-skeeter-pee-4-1134.jpg

hbt-skeeter-pee-4-1134.jpg

bernardsmith

Reaction score
I've made SP twice. IMO this is an incredibly forgiving drink to make and one that can tolerate all kinds of deliberate and accidental variations. I think the key ideas are that SP is made from very acidic commercially produced lemon juice concentrate to which has been added preservatives (and hence the use of yeast slurries - what brewers on this forum might refer to as the yeast cake - though more like watery gruel if yours comes from wine)AND it can be drunk "green" (unaged). In short, it costs pennies a bottle and can taste surprisingly good (I made my second batch with added flavor hops). While it is very simple to make, I think it is far easier for an experienced wine maker to make than a novice. A novice - not a complete newbie but someone with one or two gallons of wine under their belt - is likely to be caught up in the details whereas the more experienced wine-maker will see the principles that SP makes use of.

JayDubWill

Reaction score
I made a batch last year for a party and mixed it with about 20% cranberry juice and fresh fruit slices by the pitcher. I had it in my kegerator so it was carbonated. The wives and girlfriends couldn't get enough of it and I ended up saving a ton over the cost of vodka. I still get requests to make more a year later.

MaverickBrew

Reaction score
@crazyirishman34 Same thing happen to me but 6 of us tried to drink it all in one setting..BIG MISTAKE...but hey Texas holdem and SP = a fun night.

2Kegger

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've made several batches, and can't keep it in the house. Last week I made a 2 5-gallon batches just so I could stay ahead. In one I added strawberries to the primary. Last time I did it, my wife loved it even more than the regular pee.
I also did a starter method I found on here. Unfortunately, I can't find the link or the original poster, but it had to do with making a yeast starter with apple juice in a beer bottle. 4 oz apple juice and yeast. After about 8 hours, add 4 oz of skeeter pee. 8 hours later, do it again. After 24 hours, the yeast starter is ready to be poured in the skeeter pee. It worked for me! I already have a ton of regular wine since no one is drinking it since I started making the skeeter pee. I didn't need any more :) I love this stuff!

T_Baggins

Reaction score
Yes I agree, this is a largely versatile beverage here...very cool.
I do not recommend "Country Time" pink lemonade..that was a pretty gross concoction. I'm thinking more on the lines of Nestea or some such....I love the idea of a tea, but most of the commercial "Hard Teas" and such just don't quite hit the mark with me. I'll keep trying to get it just where I like it. But fall is back! and so are apples. That's where my focus will be for the next few months. mmmmmmm

DerrangedPOJO

Reaction score
just racked my 6 gallons to a clean sanitized carboy. Everything went well except i ended up with 6.5 gallons and it fermented out to .990 and still going. so not sure why or how it went so far. I had a very fast and vigorous fermentation. I did not have a yeast slurry so i made a nice starter and hoped for the best and i think it liked it. This is for the wife she liked the non sweetened taste so it seems promising!