Advances about kegs and storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsatsa

Reaction score
Hi all from europe! Long time reading, first time posting something in the forum.

I’m quite new to brewing, I started with some more experienced friend brewing directly AG batches and I’m currently at my 10th batch. I’m seriously thinking about starting to keg my beer instead of bottling it. For space reasons and “wife” reasons, I’m not allowed to buy a 5gal corny keg.
I’ve found this project on kickstarted and I’m seriously thinking of buying some of this ½ and 1 gal growlers. I know that are pricey, but honestly these are what I was really looking for in terms of size. Having 4-5 64oz growlers would allow me to dry hop my IPAs with different hops and then store them directly in these kegs.

mancan-family-barrel-kickstarter-1170x686.jpg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mancanbeer/mancan-put-a-brewery-in-your-fridge-not-a-growler

I have however some questions for you guys about kegging my beers:
1) With ManCan kegs, carbonation can be done directly in the keg like with a corny. Does it means that I can store my batch in the keg without adding corn sugar to them after the secondary?
2) ManCan growlers come with tap or without. Since I’m planning to buy 10 of them, I suppose that they come with a flat stopper/cap (the one you can see in the picture above). Is it a problem to store uncarbonated beer in the growler, then open the stopper when I want to plug the tap system to it? Does the air inside the keg need to be replaced with CO2 to maintain the beer? And if so, how can I replace that air and then close the growler with the flat stopper since it doesn’t come with valves?
A lot of open questions I hope you could answer ;)

Cheers
tsa

PS: mistake in the title... >> advises

Basically I'm not sure if stocking beer in the can without the tap system and without priming/force carbing it will ruin my beer after 1-2 months just by putting it in and closing the stopper (black arrow).

Is the stopper (red arrow) easy to find? tried to look around but I can not find the same model they propose

EDIT: Looking around more over the internet, I probably answered to my questions... the ManCan automatically seals when putting beer in it. However, my question now is what type/model of coupler are they using in their tap system. I'm looking for it on different stores but I can't find it

Capture.JPG

That is an exceedingly expensive way to keg, plus you have to wait quite a few months before the current promised date.

Can you try the smaller ball lock kegs, like a 2.25, 2.5, or 3 gallon size?

This is the 2.25 gallon keg that I just found: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/-2-GALLON-COMPACT-BALL-LOCK-KEG-P3151.aspx

this way you can use standard CO2 tanks, regulators, etc.

The mancan looks like a great gadget, but that is the way I see it, not for your bulk use, but to make it so that just a part of your beer is highly portable.

I second what gnef said. You'll need to get an equal quantity of the couplers(not the flat tops), otherwise you have to depressurize after priming to get the serving cap on. That'll ruin your beer and potentially make a mess!!

This Kickstarter project seems to be getting shared around a lot lately. Honestly, I think it looks inferior to a project that was already funded last year and will actually be shipping product in just a few more weeks. I expect to receive my uKeg in August, and honestly, it looks like a superior container to the ManCan.

You'll need to get an equal quantity of the couplers(not the flat tops)

Thanks for the answers. That's what I supposed... Which makes the entire purchase even more expensive. Do you know where is it possible to buy these couplers?

I'll probably look for an alternative solution. I liked the portability of these kegs but the amount I have to spend for them does not justify their practical advantages

These couplers are specific to these units so you'll have to get them from the kickstarter. They have a bigger package, 6 units with 6 couplers for $1k. The ukeg may be a better option (or corny kegs).

This is really cool, but cost wise, if you are already kegging batches of homebrew, I would personally rather spend the $155 on 2 more 5 gallon cornies.
I do think this product is great if you are one of those that visits local breweries and do growler fills for your drinking supply.

For homebrewers kegging already, its just additional "coolness" or bling that will not get used enough to justify.
Just my .02..its a slick product though.
:mug:

Back