Adjusting Tannin levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreatDane85

Reaction score
Hi, ive got a question regarding amount of wine tannins to add to a store bought juice. I recently, while traveling to the UK, tried a cider made with a single variety apple (kingston black) and absolutely loved it! so ive been on a mission to recreate it at home. i did some research and read that, since it is a bittersharp, has a tannin concentration of 1.9 g/L ..reading several articles on tannin additions (1/4 tsp per gallon) this concentration sounds like a really high number but would like to experiment with it as well. with some rough calculations (assuming 1 tsp LD Carleson tannin is 2.4 ..correct me if im wrong here), i am getting 3 tsp per gallon.. would this produce an undrinkable cider after fermentation?

Do your addition after fermentation. A little at a time keeping track of how much you add. When it tastes like it"s almost enough wait about 20-30 mins and try it again.
Tasting it over and over will deaden your taste buds.

How did it work out?

I’m also looking to add some some mouthfeel to the cider. I too just returned from a trip to the U.K. The cider there was incredible.

Hi, ive got a question regarding amount of wine tannins to add to a store bought juice. I recently, while traveling to the UK, tried a cider made with a single variety apple (kingston black) and absolutely loved it! so ive been on a mission to recreate it at home. i did some research and read that, since it is a bittersharp, has a tannin concentration of 1.9 g/L ..reading several articles on tannin additions (1/4 tsp per gallon) this concentration sounds like a really high number but would like to experiment with it as well. with some rough calculations (assuming 1 tsp LD Carleson tannin is 2.4 ..correct me if im wrong here), i am getting 3 tsp per gallon.. would this produce an undrinkable cider after fermentation?

Keep in mind this can range a huge amount depending on climate. It can also me edited by the cidermaker with maceration and fining, to some extent.

That's also a legendary cider apple of great renown, too. If it was super easy to replicate maybe it wouldn't have the reputation it does.

...but I have a couple of KB single varietals awaiting a day to either celebrate or turn around, so I totally get your enthusiasm.

Latest posts

Back