Adjusting Ph

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
Just wondering to proper way to adjust Ph. I understand that the grain will drop the ph, so say your water is Ph7. You mash in your grain, now your ph is 6. Do you just add what ever your using to drop Ph to 5.1 at this point and stir it around and check it again? With your grain saturated is it ok to stir it around a bit?

D.A., some use citric acid to lower ph. some guy's in my HBC check the ph of the sparge water, and add citric acid to adjust. that way they never have to worry about the sparge going over a ph of 5.8.

i don't bother w/ ph adjustment (but, i use bottled spring water that's been filtered). i was at Real Ale Brewing in Blanco this weekend and asked them what they do to treat their water ph. Brandon (one of the brewers) said, "nothing". they use city water, run through a carbon filter and go to town!
go to www.howtobrew.com. John Palmer talk's about ph in the mash, treatments, and calculations.......

I have been using 5.2 PH Stabilizer. You can get it at your HBS. I have hard water so adjusting PH was difficult until I found this product. Its a food grade phosphate.

Latest posts

Back