Adjusting mash pH after 45 minutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing Jamil's Bohemian Pilsener, BIAB method. I used Bru'n Water to calculate my additions for proper water profile and pH, and tested mash pH with my Hach PP+. I've successfully met my target pH, or at least close enough, many times in the past using these tools, but this time was different. I targeted a pH of 5.34, but my 1st measurement at 10 minutes was 5.09, and at 30 minutes was 5.12. After doing some quick web searches, I decided to mix up a solution with Pickling Lime, which got my pH up to 5.25. After that point, I've let it mash for another 45 minutes.

I've been trying to find out whether this addition was too late to make a difference. I found this thread that states:

"As long as the difference between the optimal and actual pH is low (1-2 pH units) the effect of pH on the enzyme activity is reversible since the enzyme is not permanently damaged (denatured)."

Based on this it seems that my correction may be effective. Can anyone corroborate this, or tell me why not in my situation?

Much appreciated,

Tim

What the enzymes accomplished at pH 5.09 in converting starches to sugars (the desired end game) can not be undone by raising the mash pH. 5.09 mash pH is not going to kill of the enzymes. And by 30 minutes the starch to sugar conversion was likely complete. But by raising the mash pH you likely moved the final brew into a somewhat more appropriate post fermentation pH range.

Last edited:
At pH 5.09 the primary enzyme carrying the load of your saccharification was Beta Amylase, and this enzyme produces a highly fermentable wort, so this would favor a drier (in the more fully fermented sense) and crisper beer, as opposed to running the early mash (when the bulk of the saccharification is taking place) at a higher pH which favors Alpha Amylase, and which should lead to a more chewy mouthfeel due to leaving more unfermentable sugars in the wort.

5.4 pH as the target during the mash is a compromise between the environments favored by Beta and Alpha Amylase. I'm changing my outlook, and beginning to favor mashing at pH 5.5 because I desire the creation of some unfermentables. It's purely a matter of personal preference.

There is a mash temperature component at work here also. Beta favors lower mash temperature in addition to lower pH, and Alpha favors the opposite.

You likely turned your Bohemian Pilsner into more of a German Pils.

Last edited:
Thanks Silver$. I'll have do some reading up on the science, with the hope that it will stick. It'll be consumed, whatever the end result.

Back