Adjust Local Water or Salt Distilled Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bprichar

Reaction score
I've gotten to a point that I'm ready to start understanding and tweaking my water profiles. My big question before I start doing a ton of research or building a water filtration system is which is more time and/or cost effective?

Should I construct a decent water filtration system and then try to understand and tweak my local water profile as necessary,

or

buy big jugs of purified water, and add salts as necessary to achieve the desired water profile?

My local water doesn't taste bad or anything, but I do have a water softener, and I get the feeling it's not the best water for every type of beer I generally like to make.

I was thinking about making a portable water filter I could attach to the end of my hose so I don't have to carry big kettles full of water out to my porch or garage where I do my brewing, but am partly worried about any flavor the hose may impart.

Any ideas, comments, discussion is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

In order to make that decision, you'd have to know exactly what is in your water first.

You can send a sample of the unsoftened water to Ward Lab and get a "household minerals test" for about $26 so you know what you're working with. Otherwise, there is no way to know which is better.

In order to make that decision, you'd have to know exactly what is in your water first.

You can send a sample of the unsoftened water to Ward Lab and get a "household minerals test" for about $26 so you know what you're working with. Otherwise, there is no way to know which is better.

Yooper,
Do you consider RO water to be pure enough to start at "0" levels of minerals?

I agree with yooper, but try calling your water company first. They have to test their water rather frequently and may be willing to send you a copy of the results.

I was raised in Crete and our water you could pound through a board.

What exactly should I be asking for as far as water test reports? I've attached the published report, but I don't think it has all of the information I need.

WaterProfile.png

Back