Additions to secondary and sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shushikiary

Reaction score
So I've seen lots of threads and talk of adding things to the secondary, and I currently have a stout in a secondary that had a vanilla bean added to it.

My question is, when adding things like that to the secondary how to make sure it stays sanitary so you dont get an infected beer? Should you dip the fruit/bean/etc in starsan before you put it in? I'm sure trying to sanitize cocoa would be interesting...

So I've seen lots of threads and talk of adding things to the secondary, and I currently have a stout in a secondary that had a vanilla bean added to it.

My question is, when adding things like that to the secondary how to make sure it stays sanitary so you dont get an infected beer? Should you dip the fruit/bean/etc in starsan before you put it in? I'm sure trying to sanitize cocoa would be interesting...

Couple of ways to do it. You can but them in the freezer for a couple of days then add them to the secondary. Get a small amount of vodka plain soak the vanilla in it for a bit add the hole thing to the secondary. They may be better ways but these are that way i was told.

The pH of beer is low enough so that you really don't have to worry about sanitizing secondary additions. The alcohol also helps this. Others may disagree but I've never had a problem.

Latest posts

Back