Additions to any beer? ya or na

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bxtzd3

Reaction score
Well im looking to start a stout for christmas. but i was wondering if you can add whatever to any style beer to mess around or does certain ones work better, and others just dont . also when do you add? is it after prim ferm in the secondary or can i leave it to the primary the whole time?
stuff i want to add-

mint
chocolate
nutmeg
fruit
or whatever. i plan on splitting up a couple batches as a mixed batch of stouts
don

Additions are a tricky thing to get right.

There is a well of information on this site, I recommend using the search function and checking out other peoples recipes, successes, and failures.

Mint, chocolate and nutmeg are usually added during the boil.

Fruit is usually added to the secondary.

I prefer making a tincture by steeping the spice in vodka. Then I can add the spiced vodka to the bottling bucket/keg to taste. Makes it much easier to add the correct amount.

Additions are a tricky thing to get right.

There is a well of information on this site, I recommend using the search function and checking out other peoples recipes, successes, and failures.

Mint, chocolate and nutmeg are usually added during the boil.

Fruit is usually added to the secondary.

ya i did use that search thing and all the addition threads come up with mostly hop addition. thats why i did in this neat little package here. so spices are in a boil and fruit is in the secondary and fruit is prob better to be a syrup sound about right.

Fruit syrup sounds like it has sugar additives.

Usually just fruit. Either brought up above 180 F for a few minutes, or with vodka or campden added to kill the nasties before adding.

Fruit syrup sounds like it has sugar additives.

Usually just fruit. Either brought up above 180 F for a few minutes, or with vodka or campden added to kill the nasties before adding.

syrup was a poor choice of words. meant extract

Back