Adding yeast to priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewMaster

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I had a post awhile ago talking about a stalled lager. It stalled around 1.020 and it is lagering right now. I am wondering when it come time how to figure out the priming sugar.

I really wanna make sure it carbs so I am thinking I will add 1/4 Nottingham ale yeast to he priming sugar. Question is how much sugar? And with the new yeast work on the old sugars still existing.?

Thanks for the help guys

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well I gotta say after multiple days of searching this massive interweb I have not found an answer to my question. Lots to read about stalling around 1.020, and under pitching lagers (my knowledge for proper yeast pitching great now).

But still no answers, I am worried that if I don't add yeast to the priming sugar I will have a flat lager and I flushed 3 months on impatient waiting down the drain. Or if I do add yeast to my priming sugar the yeast will eat the priming sugar and some of the residual sugars creating potential bottle bombs.

its hard to not be a nervous nelly with time invested not to mention cost.

Is this an all-grain batch? Did you do a diacetyl rest? Did you do a yeast starter?

This sounds more like either you mashed too high and have too many complex sugars or you didn't do the diacetyl rest, or both. It is very unlikely that there's something wrong with the yeast, and the beer will carb just fine without adding additional yeast. It isn't going to hurt anything, but it's not necessary either.

A 1.02 FG lager is going to be sweet, and you are likely missing your intended ABV by a decent amount. If you want to try to fix that, you could add some Alpha Amalyse powder to the beer to try to break down some of those complex sugars. If the mash temp was your issue, that'll fix it. It'll take a good 2-3 weeks back at fermentation temps to work.

If you think the taste is OK, and it's not cloyingly sweet, just finish it up like normal.

Good luck!

Is this an all-grain batch? Did you do a diacetyl rest? Did you do a yeast starter?

This sounds more like either you mashed too high and have too many complex sugars or you didn't do the diacetyl rest, or both. It is very unlikely that there's something wrong with the yeast, and the beer will carb just fine without adding additional yeast. It isn't going to hurt anything, but it's not necessary either.

A 1.02 FG lager is going to be sweet, and you are likely missing your intended ABV by a decent amount. If you want to try to fix that, you could add some Alpha Amalyse powder to the beer to try to break down some of those complex sugars. If the mash temp was your issue, that'll fix it. It'll take a good 2-3 weeks back at fermentation temps to work.

If you think the taste is OK, and it's not cloyingly sweet, just finish it up like normal.

Good luck!

I gave it 3 weeks in the primary and then 3 days of d-rest. I used a dry yeast that was rehydrated but just used one pouch. After the d-rest I racked into secondary and it has been at lagering temps for 2 weeks. I am not worried so much about getting the FG lower (I have learned my lesson on pitching more yeast for a lager now), but what I am concerned with is lets say it was "under pitched" is there enough yeast left (if any at all) to carb a beer after its been put into a secondary and lagered for 6 weeks?

3 weeks of 54 degrees
3 days at 65 degrees
and 2 weeks at current 37 degrees

oh and it tasted ok when I racked to the secondary.

Latest posts

Back